Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K&N filter - Do I have to use K&N oil ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N filter - Do I have to use K&N oil ??

Hi All

I just picked up a K&N replacement filter on ebay for my GS1000G. Unfortunately it didn't come with any oil.

Should I buy some K&N filter oil or will something else be OK (like light engine oil)? Can't help thinking I'd be paying over the odds just to have K&N printed on the bottle.

Anyone else used an alternative with success?

=D> A happy Christmas to all GS owners and many thanks to all of you who have replied to my questions over the last few months, you've been a great help. =D>

Hi

On my GS1000GLx.

I used light weapon oil from a spraycan.

Merry X-mas to all

Comment

You can find other brands of air filter cleaners, but the K&N brand doesn?t cost all the much. The kit K&N sells comes with enough to clean the filter at least three times. Seeing as you should be able to go about 20,000-30,000 miles on one cleaning one kit should last you close to 100,000 miles. For the supreme price of $11 every 100,000 miles I think the K&N is worth it.

Besides you use something not designed for application to a cotton gauze filter could damage it. Then you?d need new filters, which could run $50 or more. So spend a little less on cleaner and risk the filter or get what they recommend and take no chances.

Comment

I use PJ-1 filter oil on my K&Ns. It looks just like K&N and lasts just as long and only runs about $4.95 a can.

Comment

I use K&N oil. We're not talking a lot of money here and it gives peace of mind knowing you're doing the right thing. Used properly, the oil will last a long time.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hi

I used light weapon oil from a spraycan,because I could not get hold of KN oil.
            When i said weapon oil ,I meant the light, thin oil for handguns.
            I also washed the filter in petrol...
            no big deal.
            Have worked perfect for 18000 km so far,I will do the same again this winter.

Happy new year.

Comment

Here's what the owners manual (from my GS850GLZ) says: "Immerse the element in a pool of motor oil, and squeeze the oil off the element to make it slightly wet with the oil."

I, however, don't use motor oil. I only quote the manual because it seems important to note what the manufacturer recommends. I use K & N oil. The folks at K & N claim that their oil has better capabilities for trapping and containing the dirt that we're all trying to keep out of our engines. I think they have something about this on their web site. Since they're the experts, and, for the price of a can, it seems well worth it.

Comment

Working...
              X