Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain TENSION

Just a question here.
    When I did my valve adjustment I noticed that at 1 setting the Cam chain was Taught on top, between the 2 cams. Yet at the other setting, it had slack in it. Is this normal? I can't find anything in the factory manual except how to set the tensioner.

I'm not experiencing any trouble that I know of. I don't hear any slapping or anything. Just curious if this sounds normal?

Thanks.

If you set the tensioner up the way the manual says Dave, and given that all is in good working order then your set. It's an auto chain tensioner and it takes care of the tention for you.

Smart old bikes, aren't they?

Comment

Thanks, but I DIDN'T do anything to the tensioner yet, and don't really want to. I was just a bit concerned about how the chain is taught at 1 valve setting, and slack at the other?

Comment

Some variance in cam chain tension as the engine is rotated by hand is normal. The auto tensioner wasnt designed to operate at 1/2 of an rpm. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by DMPLATT
        Thanks, but I DIDN'T do anything to the tensioner yet, and don't really want to. I was just a bit concerned about how the chain is taught at 1 valve setting, and slack at the other?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          Some variance in cam chain tension as the engine is rotated by hand is normal. The auto tensioner wasnt designed to operate at 1/2 of an rpm. LOL

Earl
          1/2 an RPM. You give me too much credit.

Thanks
          I feel better.

Comment

The last time I set my manual tensioner I had the valve cover off so I was able to feel the tensioner guide as I was tightening the adjuster. Maybe to give yourself peace of mind you could physically test how much slack there is between the crank and the intake cam sprocket.

Jeff

Comment

Most likely what you see/feel is one of the other cam lobes (ramps) on either cam is trying to be push CW or CCW by the springs/rockers. Static timing causing slack in the chain at that point in time.

Extreme example is, back off the gas and excess slack can cause a change in valve timing or jump a tooth. Very bad for an advance intake cam. That's a good reason why race engine use manual adjuster's with big cams and small v/p clearance.
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
              X