New chapter in the 7,500rpm limiter story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New chapter in the 7,500rpm limiter story

So some weird things happened on my first decently long ride on the GS last night. I don't know at what point this stuff happened, but it changed the bike pretty dramatically.

The previous owner, in an attempt to circumvent the bike's weak ignition and notorious charging system, installed a headlight cutoff switch to aid in charging the battery. Leave it off, and the headlight doesn't come on when the bike is running. It'd worked just fine so far, but then yesterday all the sudden the headlight worked on its own - indepedently of whether the switch was on or not.

Ok, no big deal to me since the battery works pretty well now and starts the bike fine, but there's another quirk to this that I discovered on my long ride last night: Flipping the switch to 'on' slightly improved the illumination from the headlight. What the? Anybody got a theory on this?

So I went on the longest ride so far last night - a 30 minute trip from my house to my friend's house. The bike ran very well the whole time aside from still not being able to idle at all. It will die within a second or two of dropping the throttle unless half choked.

I say ran very well because it no longer appears to have the aforementioned bain of its performance - the 7,500rpm brick wall it had been hitting on acceleration. The reason for this was really obvious to me after running it to 10,000 in first gear once or twice: The TACH was the problem the whole time!

I'm not kidding. The bike sounds the same as before, runs the same as before, gets just as loud as before as it approaches the top end of the rev range, but now the tach actually reads 10,000 when it's screaming its head off and running out of power suddenly. So much for that problem. Of course this is slightly disappointing since I thought the bike had more power waiting to be unleashed, but this saves me some trouble.

The tach had worked perfectly fine before. It tracked the revs smoothly and didn't seem to be lagging behind anything; it just didn't go past 7,500rpm. Strange eh? Is this a normal occurrence?

Re: New chapter in the 7,500rpm limiter story

The tach on an 82 750 is mechanical and driven from the exhaust cam. It is in no way connected to the electrical system other than the small light on the instrument face.

It appears you have a faulty connector or wiring in your headlight circuit.

10k rpm is beyond redline.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

About headlight and switch: Someone added a switch that used to turn headlight off-on, you say, but now headlight is on even if switch is off... well, then something is bypassing the switch, maybe like a couple strands of the wire are sticking out and connecting to other terminal/wire on other side of switch, which is enough to light the light some but not really a good full connection. When you turn on switch, then you get good full connection and light is brighter.

Switch may not be entirley bad idea. I know when I have had a weak battery I got reall good at getting to fuses and taking out headlight fuse, could do it in the dark. THought I could have used a switch, but then realized that what I needed was a new battery.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

It sounds like your headlight circuit is getting to a ground somewhere ahead of the swich.; it is not a solid ground which is why the light is not as bright as when the switch is on. Or the problem could be in the switch itself breaking down. Disconnect the headlight from the switch altogether. If you still have a the dimmer light, look to see where it is grounding. If you disconnect and the light does not come on at all , that would point to a problem inside the switch.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I had a simillar problem with my lights on my 850, they would dim when the brake lights were activated. I suspect some resistance in the ign switch as I was not getting full voltage to the fuse block. Best fix is to operate the elec system from a relay.

Comment

Working...
          X