Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuse blown. Instrument cluster goes dark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse blown. Instrument cluster goes dark.

Hi all,

I have a question concerning my GS1100GL. I start the bike and everything runs fine, but after about 5 minutes, all electronics on the instrument cluster go out (as well as the turn signals). The headlight however is still on.

I checked the fusebox and sure enough the main 10 amp fuse is blown. I replace it, but only get another 5 minutes (average).

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to go about repairing?

Thanks for all the help in the past and I look forward to the replies.

All the best,

Robert McRay

I would check the wires inside the headlite make sure they are not touching metal

Comment

Also check your horns. They are on the same circuit, but are live as soon as the key is turned on, and work when the horn button is pressed to ground them.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

yea my horn works

Comment

On the subject of fuses I have a Dumb question to ask. What voltage should all the fuses be. I think mine say 35V maybe 32. But they are all of the correct amperage.

Thanks

Moonshine550t

Comment

Checked horn and headlight wiring and all contact points. Everything seems to be in order. This is driving me crazy. Any and all help is appreciated..... I just blew another 10 amp fuse in under 4 minutes.

Damn! :x

Comment

Robert, I don't think the time it takes to blow the fuse is a factor. Try to determine if it blows when you are doing anything in particular. That could give us a hint to what is causing it to blow. There has to be something that is drawing too much current. I don't think it will just continue to draw more and more current until it blows. It could if something is heating up, causing the resistance to increase, but I don't think it likely. Right after it blows, try to feel around for any hot spots. Good luck. I know it's frustrating. You'll find it.

Terry

Comment

Re: Fuse blown. Instrument cluster goes dark.

Robert

On my GS750, all fuses are 10 amp EXCEPT the main fuse, it is specified 15 amp. Is there a possibility you are just using the wrong capacity fuse and everything else is actually just fine?

Earl

[quote="Robert McRay"
                I checked the fusebox and sure enough the main 10 amp fuse is blown. I replace it, but only get another 5 minutes (average).
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                X