Whining noise on 82 gs550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining noise on 82 gs550l

I just bought the bike and the guy I bought it from said it is the speedometer cable. It makes a whining noise when I drive it. It sopmetimes stops for about for a while then kicks back in. I was told I could grease the cable and it would stop. How would I do that?

Disconnect the cable from the wheel and remove the inner cable grease the cable & reinstall. If yours is anything like mine it is not the cable It is the speedo, Try removing the inst cluster & turn it up side down & fill the speedo adapter with a light oil and let it soak for a few hours Adding oil as necessary

Comment

Speedometer is bad

I took it in to get tuned up and serviced and told him to look at the speedo and he lubed up the cable and it ended up breaking the cable minutes later. He changed the cable and same whining noise. I need another speedometer. Will most all suzuki speed gauges work on my 82 gs550L?

Comment

My speedo and tach were making whining noises so I took theam out of the cluster and blew them out with compessed air and sprayed a little silicone lubricant inside them and it fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrbaker
          My speedo and tach were making whining noises so I took theam out of the cluster and blew them out with compessed air and sprayed a little silicone lubricant inside them and it fixed the problem.
          Silicone spray fixed mine too. But my sound was not so whining, more a weak ratteling sound.

Comment

Working...
          X