help....please ^_^

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help....please ^_^

ok..i haven't been in a forum in many years. i have just purchased an 1980 gs1000, it is complete with title (yea). the bike engine number does not match the bike vin number but it doesn't check out to be hot. no one has been able to tell me what year the engine is. it has had some "buisy fingers" in it. someone put dyna s pickup coils in it and didn't replace the stock ignition coils. anyway any information on how to find out the year on the engine would be greatly apriciated. this is my first suzuki so i want to get it running and on the road.

Re: help....please ^_^

If they replaced the stock pickups/sensors on the crankshaft with Dyna pickups, then they have also replaced the stock ignition module if it is a Dnya III system or deleted it if it is a Dyna "S" system. Dyna sensors are not compatible with a stock ignitor box.

There is no need to replace a stock ignition coil when changing to a Dyna ignition as long as the stock coils are within service limits.

You could probably call your local dealer with the engine number and they could tell you what year it was made.

Earl

Originally posted by rider
    ok..i haven't been in a forum in many years. i have just purchased an 1980 gs1000, it is complete with title (yea). the bike engine number does not match the bike vin number but it doesn't check out to be hot. no one has been able to tell me what year the engine is. it has had some "buisy fingers" in it. someone put dyna s pickup coils in it and didn't replace the stock ignition coils. anyway any information on how to find out the year on the engine would be greatly apriciated. this is my first suzuki so i want to get it running and on the road.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Where in Texas are you located?? 8)

Comment

None of the local dealers have been able (or choose not to) tell me what the primary ohm readings should be on a good ignition coil. I know the Dyna S system must have at least 3 ohms at the primary side for the coils to work. The ignitor has been removed...not there..only the pigtail left. I know the ignitor is not needed with the right ignition coils. I am about fed up with it...going to buy the Dyna coils I think. The Dyna tech said he didn't think the Suzuki ignition coils had the proper primary ohm requirments. Oh well....the hunt goes on.........thank you very much for the reply.
        Wayne

Comment

Thank you for the welcome I am located a little east of Austin. I work for the City of Austin.
          Wayne

Comment

3's

Frame and engine numbers should be different, depending on the state, it may only list the frame vin# and not the engine #'s, my stste only lists the frame number on the tittle, you say you have the dyna S so you only need the pick up assm. and advancer and your stock coils but dyna coils are sure nice, I think old school suzuki .com has the engine #'s listing so you can look up the year, but Iam guessing that it is the orginal engine

Comment

The resistance should be 3 ohms. A dyna will work fine with any resistance between 2 and 5 ohms. Specs for the resistance between plug caps, through the plug wires and coil is between 30k and 50k.

I ran a Dyna "S" for years with 3 ohm coils that tested at 4 ohms and they were fine.

I now run a Dyna 2000 with 3 ohm Accel coils with resistance through the plug caps of 20K ohms.

Just put a multimeter on your coil primary connections. If you get anything between 2 and 5 ohms, its ok.
              (been there, done that) :-)

Earl

None of the local dealers have been able (or choose not to) tell me what the primary ohm readings should be on a good ignition coil. I know the Dyna S system must have at least 3 ohms at the primary side for the coils to work. The ignitor has been removed...not there..only the pigtail left. I know the ignitor is not needed with the right ignition coils. I am about fed up with it...going to buy the Dyna coils I think. The Dyna tech said he didn't think the Suzuki ignition coils had the proper primary ohm requirments. Oh well....the hunt goes on.........thank you very much for the reply.
              Wayne
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you a bunch The information here is invaluable!! I bought this bike to fix and sell ($150.00) but I realy want to ride it and see how it runs out. It is my first Suzuki, I ride an 82 KZ1100 dresser (all original) and I have 2 81 750 Viragos, a 79 CM200T Honda and an 80 IT175 Yamaha. When I needed help I knew there would be people in a forum someplace that could and would help. I am glad I found this one. Ya'll have an awesome new year, catch ya later.
                Wayne

Comment

If you should decide to sell the 1000 - let me/us know!! I need a Texas titled frame for my 1000!! Sounds like it might be to nice for a parts bike - keep us informed of your progress ... 8)

Comment

This is more than a parts bike, other than the price of the Dyna ignition coils it won't take much to put it back on the road. It has sat for 2 or 3 years but it is in good condition. I will be doing some work to it today. side stand internal mount nut has broken loose, replace the throttle cable and take compresion test. I'll keep you informed. Rubber down Tx. rider.
                    Wayne[/quote]

Comment

shaftzuki, are you located very far from Austin? Just courious.
                      Wayne

Comment

shaftzuki, are you located very far from Austin? Just courious.
                        Wayne
                        I'm just north of Dallas, TX - about 4 hours from you!! 8) Just down the road a bit ....

Comment

Welcome to the GSR Wayne. If you get that 1k running right your going to want to keep it after you ride it

Mine has Dyna ignition and still uses stock coils. I ran it that way for over 8 years. I am however putting hotter Dyna coils on now that I am moding the engine more.

Comment

Hoomgar, did your 78 gs1000 originaly have a point system? If so would you possibly know the primary ohms for the ignition coils? I might be able to go to older coils and get the bike running and save some money.
                            I have owned just about everything from Harleys to Hondas over the years. You guys have got me itching to get this zuk on the road you guys are a wealth fo info, thanks again.
                            Wayne

Comment

my 78 and 79 engine and frame serial numbers DO NOT match. Not sure why Suzuki did it this way...

Comment

Working...
                              X