Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon Performance Steel Braided Brake Line Kits (Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paragon Performance Steel Braided Brake Line Kits (Review)

Stainless Steel Braided PTFE Hose, Custom Brake Lines, Washing Machine Hose, stainless steel braided PTFE, heat pump hoses, power trim hoses, silicone vacuum tube and Audi Performance

I emailed these guys a few months ago expressing interest in beefing up my brakes on the GS 550, especially up front with only a single rotor. They have a deal if you send in your brake lines, or measure them out, they will make you a kit and sell you it for 50% off. Sweet deal!

I wouldn't reccomend this as a summer project, since you'd be without lines for a while, but I had a spare 550 bike, so I pulled the lines off it.

Old Lines:

New Lines:

They are DOT steel braided lines coated with a smoke colored teflon wrap. The kit included new crush washers and clips as well.

If you looked closely you'll also notice one of the banjo's was a 90-degree bend. Why?

The bike has drag bars, and to fit the front brake line in it has to bend very sharply around the clocks and handle bar. With a straight banjo it only makes it it worse.

Straight fitting, notice original line is cracked:

To fix this, I asked for a 90-degree bend, which I'm hoping they offer as a 'drag bar' banjo fitting for everyone else in the future:

No, they're not on yet because I'm sorting out the charging system, but I'm looking forward to that first squeeze of the lever.

~Adam

AOD, may I ask how much the lines cost with the 50% off?

Thanks,
    Tony.

Also, now that they have the specs. for your bikes lines, they won't really require a send in for future orders of that model, right? Perhaps the deal is only for those models for which they don't have an off the shelf kit.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Right, I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. It's 50% off if they don't have your model on shelf already.

My kit was $56 + shipping, so if you were to pay full price you're looking at around $100. I think that's pretty fair.

You can also use the non-DOT brake lines, and it saves some money.

~Adam

Comment

I looked all over thier site at dang near every break kit they offer... none went over 160$ from what i saw.

That's opposed to HEL who makes some very nifty brake kits as well but they are bloody expensive at 260$ US for a 3 line kit.

Comment

I sent them the measurements for my 1100E and got a three line front setup and a rear line for $86.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

can't beat that!

Comment

Yeah, I just sent them about 3 days ago the measurements for my 83 with the anti-dive units still in place (six line setup). I'm hoping they will give me a discount for that but I doubt it, since it's the same as the 81 kit listed with two additional 13" lines for the anti-dive units. Everybody says I should disconnect the anti-dive, but I don't notice any ill effects, and I kind of like how they look. Anything to make my 1983 bike look more high tech is good for me.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

when you guys take measurements ae you including the length of the banjo bolt also or just the hose length?

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer
                  when you guys take measurements ae you including the length of the banjo bolt also or just the hose length?
                  I believe I measured to the middle of the banjo bolts.............

Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

In talking to them, they wanted overall length of the assembly. That is, end of banjo to end of banjo.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ordered myself a set today. Should be in in about 1 1/2 weeks. I have the six line setup, unfortunately they had it as a stock item so it ended up costing me 200 clams. If they are as nice as you all say, I'll be happy with what I spent.
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

The lines are not the expensive part The fittings are what make them cost $$$

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          Ordered myself a set today. Should be in in about 1 1/2 weeks. I have the six line setup, unfortunately they had it as a stock item so it ended up costing me 200 clams. If they are as nice as you all say, I'll be happy with what I spent.
                          You're welcome. I'm pretty sure they used the measurements I sent them when I got my HALF PRICE lines . Did they ask you about your handlebars? I have lower than stock bars so I gave them two sets of measurements. I also gave them the anti-dive measurements even though mine are removed.

Also, if you can get your hands on a power bleeder you'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation getting new brake fluid through all the new lines.

Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

The set I got is listed as 1100G with anti-dive. I reviewed all the info they sent me and it seems to match up with my existing lines. I have lower bars, but the stock lines fit just fine, so I'll stick with the stock lengths.

I have a power bleeder, but still had problems bleeding the brakes with that damn anti-dive.
                            Currently bikeless

Comment

Just to add: Russell makes some nice SS lines too. Mine were made with PERFECT bends. Their chrome fittings are nice too. The ones for my '79 1000 (dual disc front) were about $115 and the rear $47 back in '00. Just another choice we have.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X