Engine oil leak from lower crankcase "weep hole" '

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine oil leak from lower crankcase "weep hole" '

An intermittent engine oil leak on my '82 GS850G just got worse.

The oil is coming from a "weep hole" located near the top of a rectangular recessed space located in the lower crankcase more or less under the gearshift lever.

It began to leak engine oil intermittently from this location a while ago. Thinking I might have overfilled the oil, I drained and refilled the oil. A mechanic I consulted told me that he thought that this leak was "very bad news" and suggested I ignore it unless it got much worse. I didn't think much more about it.

Now, when the engine is running, engine oil comes out of this weep hole at a steady drip. The oil level has fallen to the minimum level, so it's not over full.

I searched the posts on the GS Forum. This weep hole and its function seem to be something of a mystery.

One post identified the weep hole as the exit for a drain hole in the bottom of the starter motor well, and suggested that the oil could be coming from a leaking cam chain tensioner.

I recently attempted to tighten the bolts holding the cam chain tensioner. The increased volume of the leak could be a coincidence. The optimist in me is hoping that this is a relatively easy, inexpensive repair involving rebuilding or replacing the cam chain tensioner. The other option, I fear, is the "very bad" verdict from the mechanic.

Has anybody had and resolved this problem?

Thanks,

Caleb

I've got an '83 750E and have a leak at the shift lever. If I look at the bottom of my shift lever it's usually coated. I undestand this to be a shift shaft seal and NOT a big problem. Mine just hasn't gotten worse, so I'm not going to worry. As I understand it, and if you do a search, the shift shaft seal isn't that expensive or hard to replace. I've just had other issues more pressing. :?
    Also, when doing my clutch I discovered a Push rod that goes thru that area as well. It leaked a bit, but again never got worse so I'm not messing with it. I never posted that one on here, so I'm sure someone has the answer.

I will say that if the Mechanic told you that, I would shy away from him. 8O 8O

Good Luck.
    Sorry, Just re-read youre post again, I'm not sure what this WEEP hole is. My bike doesn't have one. If it is UNDER the gear shift lever, then my post may be accurate.

Comment

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, Dave. I'll look for that. I used the term "weep hole," because that seemed to be what this mystery hole was referred to in other postings.

Comment

i'm sorry i can't help you with the weep hole, but i want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for finally solving a two yr old agonising mystery for me with your 7 point check list that you posted some time ago, i had done 5 of them when i came across this web site, i posted my problem and got great replies from other forum users but the final thing that you suggested which was to seal all around the air intake was the one that transformed my bike from the donkey it had become to the speed monster it used to be. best of luck with your current problem . yours j mac ps i drive a gs750ed bye and thanks again

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, j mac. You made my day.

Caleb

Comment

leak

Pull the starter cover check to see if starter is loose, then look under the bike at that point for leaks may be just a bad oring on the starter nose, this can cause oil under the bike, if it looks ok then pull the counter shaft cover and inspect the seals under that cover, you wont need to buy any parts for the inspection maybe an impact screw driver if the bolts are real tight

Comment

I would bet on it being the o-ring on the starter motor, the "weep hole" you mention is to drain the starter cavity.
              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                I would bet on it being the o-ring on the starter motor, the "weep hole" you mention is to drain the starter cavity.
                Dink

you beat me to it!
                Caleb, take out the two little screws holding the cover over the starter and have a look inside.
                if you see any oil, the o-ring is bad.
                that is good news as the o-ring is pretty simple to change.

you could pour some water in the starter cavity and watch where it comes out, it comes out the ofinding hole you have found it, if it comes out a different hole you most likely have a bad seal between the transmission and the secondary gear box (it is what turns the drive to the drive shaft)
                odds are it is the starter o-ring.

Comment

Gentlemen:

Thank you all so much. I will begin my search at the starter o-ring and work from there.

Caleb

Comment

I have also seen the leak you described happen because one of the two starter mounting bolts had worked loose and oil was coming up fron under them and then out the side. Under the coverplate, at the inboard end of the starter, there are two long bolts that hold the starter down. Might check to see if they are tight or if one is even now missing. It isnt easy, but you can tighten them with a 1/4" drive ratchet, short extension and 10mm socket without removing anything except the starter cover plate.

Earl

Originally posted by CCMcC
                    Gentlemen:

Thank you all so much. I will begin my search at the starter o-ring and work from there.

Caleb
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks, Earl. I'll check that too.

Comment

I have no idea if this is it....

I had an oil seep coming from the gear position sensor(?) in the resess under the lower LHS of the motor.
                        It had been put back without a new o-ring and had a rag stuffed into the space to soak up the oil drip.
                        Two minute, 25 cent fix.

Comment

Jeez Louise, the things people do never cease to amaze me. Some people should be beat to death with an oily rag. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by dwarf8
                          I have no idea if this is it....

I had an oil seep coming from the gear position sensor(?) in the resess under the lower LHS of the motor.
                          It had been put back without a new o-ring and had a rag stuffed into the space to soak up the oil drip.
                          Two minute, 25 cent fix.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Update...

I removed the air box, carburetors and starter motor. There was no oil in the starter motor well. In fact, there was some dry dirt I vacuumed up.

By shining a small flashlight down the starter well drain hole, I was able to see light from the ?weep? hole. From what I could see, there was black sludge with a shiny layer of fresh oil on top in the cavity under the starter well drain hole.

The starter motor nose O-ring is in good condition. Actually, there didn?t seem to be a whole lot of oil in the starter clutch area. I put everything back together, making sure the two inboard bolts holding the starter were tight. I also removed, cleaned and reset the cam chain tensioner. It needs a gasket as the old one has disintegrated.

I wiped out the recessed ?weep" hole area and I took her for a short but spirited ride. She started right up and ran like a champ, bless her. On my return, there was a small trickle of oil; nothing like the alarming leak the other day.

It has warmed up here in Virginia (66F today). It was fairly cold (35F) when I noted the increased leak. This makes me think that the leak is pressure-related (cold, thick oil = higher pressure?).

Today, I removed the engine breather cover and cleaned it. It wasn?t obstructed, but there was some strange balled up mesh wire (?) under the breather cover . I also changed the oil and filter. I did not see any leak from the ?weep? hole today.

I wonder if the crank cases should be re-torqued. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone and keep an eye on it for now.

Caleb

Comment

re-torquing your cases sounds like a brilliant idea , it cant hurt
                              Dink

Comment

Working...
                              X