The search for carbs begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The search for carbs begins

My carbs are screwed. After I put my bike back together and rode around a while, they are leaking gas all over the place. Took them apart and all the float towers are busted... hmmm I just had them cleaned by a mechanic. That SOB. Anyways. I have begun looking for new ones and I can't find any anywhere... I have a 1980 gs550et. What are my alternatives to the stock carbs? Can I use carbs from an 850?

Ok-- my carbs are listed as Mikuni Bs32ss. Now on ebay, there is a bank of gs850 carbs for sale. I looked it up and they should be BS32SS as well. If i just switch out the jets, will that work on my bike? Help! There is only 20hrs left on the auction and it is the only thing I can find... even the junk yards around town yield nothing.

Comment

The BS32's off the ebay 850 will fit. Yes, you will need to switch jets.
      There may be some misc brackets peculiar to the 550 that will have to be switched over, but that should not be a problem.

Earl

Originally posted by TBONE
      Ok-- my carbs are listed as Mikuni Bs32ss. Now on ebay, there is a bank of gs850 carbs for sale. I looked it up and they should be BS32SS as well. If i just switch out the jets, will that work on my bike? Help! There is only 20hrs left on the auction and it is the only thing I can find... even the junk yards around town
      yield nothing.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks Earl. I hope I win!

Comment

Me too! In case you dont. Broken posts can be repaired if you have both pieces of the posts. Place the broken post in a small drill press vice and center drill it vertically so you can tap the hole to 4/40 size. Do the same to the half of the post still in the carb. Buy some 1" long 4/40 bolts and snip the heads off so that you have a stud. You will be able to stud mount your posts back together. Dry fit them first to be sure everything lines up as you want.
          When satisfied, red loctite the threads and put them together. Let them sit for 24 hours. The repair should last about forever. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by TBONE
          thanks Earl. I hope I win!
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X