'85 GS550L Regulator Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550L Regulator Rectifier

Ok, I bought a bike, fixed it up & got it going. Took it into the shop for some tires & inspection to make sure all was safe. The regulator wasn't putting out like it should, so it got replaced with a unit from CycleTronics in Alabama.

100 miles later, the unit burned out, and being cheap, I took it back in to have them fix it. That was a few days before Thanksgiving. I still don't have the bike back, and the shop still doesn't have the part in stock. They've given me the runaround the whole time. At first the part was cross-shipped, good... Then it was backordered... Then, they admitted to not ordering it when they should have.... Now, CycleTronics decided to rebuild the part, but they're closed this entire week, so they can't call to find anything out.

I've been extremely patient, only calling to hound them about once a week until this past week... I've had enough.

I know, I know... never take the bike into the shop... Always do it yourself... Lesson learned (again), lets move on from there...

Whats the cheapest, best, get it to me the soonest regulator rectifier I can get for this bike? (these don't have to be the same answers...) I'm in Atlanta Georgia, any recomendations will be appretiated.

Thanks,

Rob

you can get an R/R off of ebay dirt cheap... we successfully swapped a literally burnt up suzuki 550E R/R for a Honda CB500 one. The Honda one had dang near double the surface area and heat dissapation fins. So far it hasn't gotten nearly as hot as the old one and works really well. I think Nerobro paid 15$ for it.

or go to http://www.electrexusa.com/ known vendor, has been used by some folks here, direct replacement.

down side... they are expensive...

here's the direct link to the one you need... they are 112.50...
    http://www.electrexusa.com/SHOPPING_RRs/Prod_RR_11.html

Comment

R/R wiring...

The unit the shop installed didn't have the right connectors, so they've already cut off the factory hook-ups and crimped the new one in. So, I don't really have to worry about butchering anything. But I also don't have anything to go as a guide.

Can I just buy _any_ R/R off a similarly sized bike?

How do I wire the thing up?

rob

Comment

Re: R/R wiring...

Originally posted by rmcdo
        The unit the shop installed didn't have the right connectors, so they've already cut off the factory hook-ups and crimped the new one in. So, I don't really have to worry about butchering anything. But I also don't have anything to go as a guide.

Can I just buy _any_ R/R off a similarly sized bike?

How do I wire the thing up?

rob

sorry I edited my entry...

or go to http://www.electrexusa.com/ known vendor, has been used by some folks here, direct replacement.

Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Comment

electrex

Yeah, I tracked down that unit...

I'm not real excited about paying that much, waiting until the middle of next week, only to get a unit that I have to chop the pigtails off of...

I'd much rather find some sort of generic replacement to wire up myself... esp. if I can find it locally...

Rob

Comment

luckily all the voltages going onto the R/R should be the same... and there should be a single "hot" and one "ground" coming out. So in total 5 wires on the R/R and all bikes that I have encountered run a 12 volt system...

if you need it explained a bit better... try the stator papers...

http://thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer
              you can get an R/R off of ebay dirt cheap... we successfully swapped a literally burnt up suzuki 550E R/R for a Honda CB500 one. The Honda one had dang near double the surface area and heat dissapation fins. So far it hasn't gotten nearly as hot as the old one and works really well. I think Nerobro paid 15$ for it.
              This is you best bet from a junkyard. They will not warrenty used electrical parts thus you should not let them charge you a lot for it...$15 at the most. There will be three wires from the stator to the regulator (doesn't matter what connects to what, just that you have all three connected to the three input wires on the regulator), one wire that goes to the hot side of the fuse box or battery (should be a big red wire) for the rectifier/regulatoroutput, and possibly one wire to be used as a ground wire.

You need to see if there is something causing the R/R failures. Clean all your electrical connections, looking for any sign of overheating. Also look for grounds.

Hap

Comment

I just ordered a R/R from CRC2 (www.usedmotorcycleparts.com) - I called them and talked to them on the phone for a bit, very nice guys, always came through in the past with good part delivery, and now great customer service.

~Adam

Comment

The CRC2 guys are the best on the internet. No one else even comes close to being as helpful or dependable. I deal with them a LOT. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
                  I just ordered a R/R from CRC2 (www.usedmotorcycleparts.com) - I called them and talked to them on the phone for a bit, very nice guys, always came through in the past with good part delivery, and now great customer service.

~Adam
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: R/R wiring...

The good news is you can call them on the phone, check to be sure it is in stock and have it sent Fed ex overnight if you wish. ($$$) :-)
                    Also, their products are high quality and they stand behind them. I received one a couple years ago from them and upon checking it, it was not in specs according to my multimeter. One phone call, no problem, no question, they sent a replacement. Good stuff, good people, but yeah, you do pay for it. On the other side, I have yet to have to replace an electrex anything.

Earl

Originally posted by skreemer
                    http://www.electrexusa.com/ known vendor, has been used by some folks here, direct replacement.

http://www.electrexusa.com/SHOPPING_RRs/Prod_RR_11.html

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The electrix price is close, $5 more or so, but they tack on $15 for shipping. I've heard electrix units can fail too...but they have a 1 year warranty.

I imagine CRC2 would make it right if you had a problem with their parts within one year.

On a different note, I called back to CRC2 yesterday to ask them about the Emgo shocks (another post I made a week ago) and they said they only put online what they have in stock. They have tons of parts they can order direct if you need it.

Example: They carry all the progressive shocks and springs combo's. $229 for a pair of series 12 shocks, your choice of spring combo, and they even install everything for you and ship it out. That's $5 more then BikeBandit who sends it unassembled!

CRC2 rocks, nuff said.

Comment

I only meant that I have never had an Electrex unit fail. Yeah, yeah, I know, nothing is perfect. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="AOD"]The electrix price is close, $5 more or so, but they tack on $15 for shipping. I've heard electrix units can fail too...but they have a 1 year warranty.

Comment

Working...
                        X