Off topic / Any GM mechanics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic / Any GM mechanics?

My father has a 91 buick PA 3.8 The belt came off & wrapped itself around the crank pulley, I think it broke the crank position sensor(no ign spark) . I need to remove the crank pulley to change the crank position sensor. Any special tools to remove it Thanks Lynn

Are you going to have to remove the harmonic balancer behind the pulley?? If so, your going to need a gear puller - can't think of anything else that would require special tools .... 8)

Comment

I was thinking i would need something like a suzuki rotor puller the pulley
      looks like it has rubber insert NO bolt holes visible Will try a 3 finger puller

Comment

puller

Lynn check again I think you have a 3.1 not a 3.8 if you want, pm me THE VIN #'s AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE INFO THAT YOU NEED dont" use a gear puller

Comment

I'm 99% sure it is a 3.8 the pulley Has about a 1" bolt & has like a pie tin covering it, examining it The pie shaped outer is rubber I think I will run down to Auto ZOne & see if they have a Chiltons book

Comment

I think I ansered my own question, the book says it is a slip fit- remove by hand. Beats that ply Breeze I worked on, Had to heat that one with a torch

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              I think I ansered my own question, the book says it is a slip fit- remove by hand. Beats that ply Breeze I worked on, Had to heat that one with a torch
              only under ideal conditions!!! they often put up a fight coming off.
              the 3.8 had the ignition trigger on the end of the crank, the 2.8, 3.1,3.4 have the sensor in the middle of the block, it is located on the back side of the engine and the trigger wheel is cast as part of the crank shaft.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Leon I went out into my shop for a 1/2 hour of digging (30 degrees) to find my buick manuel and you gave him the answer, but leon is right they rarely come off with out some fuss, you must have a Park Ave. with 3.8 But Leon you forgot to give Lynn the torque specs

Comment

My dad has the 3.8 in his Buick and I'm his mechanic, so I found this a little interesting. Are they using gel-type balancers on these or are they the old ring of rubber type? Because the one thing I know about balancers is that a gear puller will tear the rubber ring apart.

Comment

Thanks Guys I will find out this weekend IF the rain stops
                    Lynn

Comment

Working...
                    X