gs1150 rear wheel size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1150 rear wheel size

What year did the 1150 switch to the 3.5" X 17". I need to make sure I am looking for the right year so I get more rubber on the road.

Also if anyone know what other wheels may be as easy to swap that would be great. I have heard that katana wheels would work too, but I haven't been able to verify that.

Thanks.

86 model 1150 rear wheels were a half inch wider, Katana wheels are narrower that 1150 wheels, any GSXR wheels upto 5.5" will fit, a little mix and match is required to make it all line up , you may even need to space the front sprocket out a bit.
    Dink

Comment

US model 1985 and 86 GS1150 rears were 3.5in. Mid 90's Katana 750/600 rears are also 3.5in. 1998 and newer Katana rears are 4.5in. All 1991 and newer GSXR rears are 5.5in.

The GS1150 3.5in rear was an easy bolt on mod for my 1983 GS750ED with everything interchanging and only requiring the rear brake torque arm to be modified. I now have the Katana wheels, both the 3.5 and 4.5in rears, I would go with the hollow 3-spoke Katana wheels as they are substantially lighter than the solid GS1150/750 rears. Depending on your needs the 3.5in rear will get you a 140 size rear and the 4.5in a 160. A 5.5 is not really necessary unless you are planning to run a 180 rear.

I wonder why more people don't take advantage of the 1990-1997 Katana wheels- they are very plentiful, much lighter than stock GS wheels, and sized just right for an easy GS750/1100 upgrade.

I am using a complete front end off a 1993 Katana 750- 41mm fork tubes with dual piston floating discs- along with a 2001 4.5in Katana 750 rear to modernize my GS750ED. I was amazed at the fact that the 4.5in rim I bought had an oversized 180 rear tire but was still lighter than my current GS1150 3.5in rear with a 140 tire.

Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Even the 90 SL Katana still ran the skinny rims of the original, as did the 2000 model "Final Edition" ALL Katanas ran a 19" front and 17" rear wheels, the rear wheel only took a 4.00" or 4.50" tyre. so fitting Katana wheels would be a backwards step.
        Dink

Comment

Dink, you must be referring to non-US bikes. Early to mid 90's Katana 750/600's in the US use 17x3 front and 17x3.5 rears. This is what my bought 1993 Katana 750 rolling chasis had. In 1998 both the Kat 750 and 600 went to 17x3.5 front and 17x4.5 rears. These were the more modern GSXR motor derived bikes with full plastic bodywork. They were cheap and plentiful making salvage parts easy and relatively inexpensive here in the US.

The older style classic Kats like yours were apparently produced longer overseas and must be the bikes you are referring to. No Katana in the US after 1983 had a 19in front. BTW, have you seen or heard anything about the new GS1200SS. I figured they were popular down under and was wondering if you have had a chance to ride one. I sure would love to have one but for some reason they are not available in the US. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Re: gs1150 rear wheel size

1985 and 1986.

Earl

[quote="dig dug mx6"]What year did the 1150 switch to the 3.5" X 17".
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
              US model 1985 and 86 GS1150 rears were 3.5in. Mid 90's Katana 750/600 rears are also 3.5in. 1998 and newer Katana rears are 4.5in. All 1991 and newer GSXR rears are 5.5in.

The GS1150 3.5in rear was an easy bolt on mod for my 1983 GS750ED with everything interchanging and only requiring the rear brake torque arm to be modified. I now have the Katana wheels, both the 3.5 and 4.5in rears, I would go with the hollow 3-spoke Katana wheels as they are substantially lighter than the solid GS1150/750 rears. Depending on your needs the 3.5in rear will get you a 140 size rear and the 4.5in a 160. A 5.5 is not really necessary unless you are planning to run a 180 rear.

I wonder why more people don't take advantage of the 1990-1997 Katana wheels- they are very plentiful, much lighter than stock GS wheels, and sized just right for an easy GS750/1100 upgrade.

I am using a complete front end off a 1993 Katana 750- 41mm fork tubes with dual piston floating discs- along with a 2001 4.5in Katana 750 rear to modernize my GS750ED. I was amazed at the fact that the 4.5in rim I bought had an oversized 180 rear tire but was still lighter than my current GS1150 3.5in rear with a 140 tire.

Good Luck, Ed.
              http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...o&PhotoID=3335
              The reason I was looking at a 1150 wheel is that it would be an easy bolt on and the wheel style is the same as what I have now. Are the early 90's katana 3.5" wheels an easy bolt on too??. I don;t have access to a a lot tools for major mods but I can do minor. I know going with a 4.5 takes more work that I want to do.

Comment

The 1150 rear is a simple bolt on mod-spoke pattern is an exact match-all hardware will interchange-you will only need to modify the rear brake arm to clear a 140 size tire.

I can't say how the Katana wheel will interchange with GS hardware as I am using all katana pieces- caliper, rotor, sprocket and hub. I only suggested it as another option as the Katana wheels are much lighter than the solid GS wheels.

I have used the 1150 rear for 15+ years with a 140 rear- below I will include a photo showing it on my bike- to modify the brake arm, I simply took the stock one to a machine shop and had them use it as a template to fabricate a single sided aluminum bracket to fit in its place.

I decided to swap front ends so I can run a 17in front and use modern rubber -this is the reason behind going to katana wheels front and rear for me.
                Good Luck, Ed. 1983 GS750ED

Comment

Dink, you must be referring to non-US bikes. Early to mid 90's Katana 750/600's in the US use 17x3 front and 17x3.5 rears. This is what my bought 1993 Katana 750 rolling chasis had. In 1998 both the Kat 750 and 600 went to 17x3.5 front and 17x4.5 rears. These were the more modern GSXR motor derived bikes with full plastic bodywork. They were cheap and plentiful making salvage parts easy and relatively inexpensive here in the US.

The older style classic Kats like yours were apparently produced longer overseas and must be the bikes you are referring to. No Katana in the US after 1983 had a 19in front. BTW, have you seen or heard anything about the new GS1200SS. I figured they were popular down under and was wondering if you have had a chance to ride one. I sure would love to have one but for some reason they are not available in the US. Ride On, Ed.
                  Second things first The GS1200SS is a Japan only model, although I have heard a few have made there way to New Zealand.
                  Now for first things second, If a motor cycle has any engine except an air cooled GS series 16 valve motor, IT IS NOT a KATANA!!!!
                  No amount of stickers is gonna make the GSX-F series a Katana
                  Therefore you are refering to the wheels off GSX600/750F's .
                  Dink

Comment

You are right, I feel the same way about the Chevy Malibu and the Pontiac GTO, but that is what they called them here in the good old US. The sad thing is that most of the people who bought them do not even know what a "real" katana was.

I have seen several GS1200SS bikes for sale via web in NZ, I thought they were exported to more countries. I would sure love to get my hands on one. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

You are right, I feel the same way about the Chevy Malibu and the Pontiac GTO, but that is what they called them here in the good old US. The sad thing is that most of the people who bought them do not even know what a "real" katana was.

I have seen several GS1200SS bikes for sale via web in NZ, I thought they were exported to more countries. I would sure love to get my hands on one. Ride On, Ed.
                      I know that a Pontiac GTO is an Australian "Monaro" A two door version of a family hack. But what is a Chevy Malibu?
                      I myself would prefer a Busa over a GS1200SS
                      Dink

Comment

I can't say how the Katana wheel will interchange with GS hardware as I am using all katana pieces- caliper, rotor, sprocket and hub. I only suggested it as another option as the Katana wheels are much lighter than the solid GS wheels.
                        So are you using your stock swingarm and axel with all the "Katana" GSF parts mentioned above. I am just looking to the swap and don't want to buy something that will not work.

Comment

Yes to the stock swingarm, axel is from the Katana 750. Are you cyrrently running the stock 120 rear size or a 130. If you have an E model with no bodywork, you should consider doing the front along with the rear. Without having to clear any bodywork, the front swap is a breeze-it bolts right up. you can use GSXR parts or GSX-F Katana parts. This will give you 17in front and rear wheels and greatly increase your tire options.

Dink, the Malibu is a modern attempt to capatalize on a name made immortal in the 1960's by the 1964-1969 Chevy muscle cars-just like the modern GTO. The Malibu SS models were some of the finest muscle cars of the day. The modern version is a front wheel drive sedan with absolutely nothing in common with its namesake.

I don't see the Busa appeal you guys have. the thing is as big and bulky as a battleship. My intro to modern liquid cooled faired bikes was my TL1000. what a nightmare to work on. You can spend hours to disassemble and reassemble the bodywork carefully- F.I. was nice but shim under bucket valvetrain at adjustment time is a nightmare. The GS1200SS would be a simple to maintain bike with classic late 1980's race styling. Loads of power and potential- It is a 1200 Bandit with personality-something the Bandit sorely lacks. I have been looking for a clean 1988-1992 GSXR1100 but these are getting very hard to find in decent condition.

In the meantime I keep slowly plugging away on the 83. Ride On, Ed.
                          1983 GS750ED

Comment

Yes to the stock swingarm, axel is from the Katana 750. Are you cyrrently running the stock 120 rear size or a 130. If you have an E model with no bodywork, you should consider doing the front along with the rear. Without having to clear any bodywork, the front swap is a breeze-it bolts right up. you can use GSXR parts or GSX-F Katana parts. This will give you 17in front and rear wheels and greatly increase your tire options.

Dink, the Malibu is a modern attempt to capatalize on a name made immortal in the 1960's by the 1964-1969 Chevy muscle cars-just like the modern GTO. The Malibu SS models were some of the finest muscle cars of the day. The modern version is a front wheel drive sedan with absolutely nothing in common with its namesake.

I don't see the Busa appeal you guys have. the thing is as big and bulky as a battleship. My intro to modern liquid cooled faired bikes was my TL1000. what a nightmare to work on. You can spend hours to disassemble and reassemble the bodywork carefully- F.I. was nice but shim under bucket valvetrain at adjustment time is a nightmare. The GS1200SS would be a simple to maintain bike with classic late 1980's race styling. Loads of power and potential- It is a 1200 Bandit with personality-something the Bandit sorely lacks. I have been looking for a clean 1988-1992 GSXR1100 but these are getting very hard to find in decent condition.

In the meantime I keep slowly plugging away on the 83. Ride On, Ed.
                            1983 GS750ED
                            As I recall from previous posts on this subjects (without searching them out and re-reading them) you will only need to swap to GS wheel bearings as the later GSXR, GSXF wheels run a bearing with a larger centre bore.
                            As to the GS1200SS I already have the ultimate big bore Suzuki's, a Bandit 1200 or a GS1200ss are not gonna be ahead of my carefully setup 1150 and certainly not my Katana 1170 ( note a REAL Katana NOT a sticker bike) to be an updated bike I would need to jump several generations hence the Busa, it size does not in any way worry me as it feels quite small from saddle (all Australian 1150's are full faired, we never received the E model)
                            Dink

Comment

I have 700e no body work running a 120 rear now. I wanted to first start with the rear end since the amount of money I have to spend is limited. I would eventually like to swap out the front end .

I have read about multiple installations of the gsf wheel only needing the bearings replaced up to different spacers and harware. If anyone has a gsf wheel installed I would like to know the cheapest way of doing this if the bearings just need to be replaced and I could possibly use my existing caliper that would be great. I know I would have to use the gsf sprocket and disk since they are 5 bolt and the current installed setup is a 6 bolt.

Also what would be a resonable price for a 3.5" 1150 rear a local salvage yard told me $150 which I thought was very high since I saw a 98 katana wheel go for $26 on ebay which I alsmost bid on but not know the amount of work needed did go for.

Comment

Working...
                              X