Crankshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshafts

Anyone know if the 1100 and 1150 crankshafts are the same?

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Re: Crankshafts

Originally posted by earlfor
    Anyone know if the 1100 and 1150 crankshafts are the same?

Earl
    I know that all the 1100 cranks are not the same. The '80 crank is different from the '81 crank (has an oil feed passage that was removed in the '81 crank) and I believe that the flywheel taper was changed in '82.

There are also differences between the piston pin diameters...some have 18mm while others have 20mm, I believe.

My understanding is that the basic crank (not including the con rods) is the same from 83 to end of production of the GS1150.

Hap

Comment

Re: Crankshafts

Thanks Hap. So youre saying the cranks from 1983 until 1986 (end of production 1150) would be the same. I thought it was all 1100's that had the 18mm pins and all the 1150's had 20 mm pins. That wouldnt make any difference though as far as the crankshaft fitting.

I'm thinking you could replace an 1150 crankshaft with one from an 83 1100 and swap 1150 pistons, rods, jugs, topend onto it.

Also then, if one wanted to swap an 80 1100 crank into an 85 1150, then it appears you could swap the 1150 pistons, rods, jugs and topend onto that, but you would also have to swap the starter clutch and stator assembly due to a different crankshaft taper. I would guess the ignition side of the crank would be the same on both years.

Earl

Earl[/quote]

I know that all the 1100 cranks are not the same. The '80 crank is different from the '81 crank (has an oil feed passage that was removed in the '81 crank) and I believe that the flywheel taper was changed in '82.

There are also differences between the piston pin diameters...some have 18mm while others have 20mm, I believe.

My understanding is that the basic crank (not including the con rods) is the same from 83 to end of production of the GS1150.

Hap[/quote]

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

There is another difference as well. The '81-'83 (non ES) cranks have a smaller taper on the flywheel end. The '83 ES and the 1150 cranks have a larger taper on the flywheel end; I think the larger one is 29mm at the straight section adjacant to the seal and the smaller one is 25mm but I'm not at all confident in this number.

This change was made because of some failures where the flywheel's mass twisted the end off of the smaller ones.

I'm sure of the larger taper for the indicated models, just not sure of the size.

All 4v 1100s were 18mm wristpin and all 1150s were 20mm wristpins. So the '83 1100ES had the 1150 taper and the 1100 rods. I know because I had one setup for a remote starter at the dragstrip and learned this all the hard way.

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm beginning to get a handle on this. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by massakins
          There is another difference as well. The '81-'83 (non ES) cranks have a smaller taper on the flywheel end. The '83 ES and the 1150 cranks have a larger taper on the flywheel end; I think the larger one is 29mm at the straight section adjacant to the seal and the smaller one is 25mm but I'm not at all confident in this number.

This change was made because of some failures where the flywheel's mass twisted the end off of the smaller ones.

I'm sure of the larger taper for the indicated models, just not sure of the size.

All 4v 1100s were 18mm wristpin and all 1150s were 20mm wristpins. So the '83 1100ES had the 1150 taper and the 1100 rods. I know because I had one setup for a remote starter at the dragstrip and learned this all the hard way.

Comment

In addition the clutch gears are different

Comment

This is correct the change in the cranks was for the 83 model, the size of the journal of the starter gear was increased from 31mm to 35 mm, the taper for the stator rotor was changed from 1in 5 to 1 in 7, this was done at the same time as the introduction of welded crankpins (BTW this was only the pins either side of the primary drive gear) and as has been pointed out 1150's run 20mm little ends, whereas 1100's run 18mm , the primary gear is a different ratio between 1100 and 1150 so you would also need to swap clutch baskets. you can get 1150 bore size pistons to fit 1100 little ends so you do not need to swap rods.
              Dink

Comment

Wow this conversation sounds a little familiar to me Earl..Please tell me you arent in the same boat as I......I know I am still searching for a gooddeal..Havent found one less that 650$ for a used unknown condition 1150 crank

Comment

NO Keith, my 1150 is fine. It doesnt need anything. I just thought I would explore alternative possibilities for solving your problem. :-) I still collecting info at the moment. :-) I have some thoughts, but I need to do some checking to be sure of what can and cant be done. heh heh Say hello to "mini fuzz" for me. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
                  Wow this conversation sounds a little familiar to me Earl..Please tell me you arent in the same boat as I......I know I am still searching for a gooddeal..Havent found one less that 650$ for a used unknown condition 1150 crank

Comment

phewwww. I thought you were in for it too... BTW the engine is about 80% tore apart. Complete topend off just need to remove it from the chassis, building up for that lol.... Its interesting that askeda similar question like this quite some time ago and got not thorough answers, followup questions I think were the kicker... Thanks for the help sometimes you just need to know what you need to ask to get answers you need....

P.S hands on your head, turn around and throw me the keys...
                    You are under arrest and I am confiscating your motorcylce..!!!!
                    Carrie AKA mini-fuzz !!

Comment

Well Keith, I think there is a lot of truth to the old saying of having to ask the right question. I've certainly escaped wifey's scorn on more than one occasion by answering exactly what she asked. :-) :-) :-)

Fortunately, being all the way down south in Fl, I am beyond the reach of those sticky little fuzzy fingers. :-) :-) :-) (good try Carrie, but no Teddy Bear for you) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
                      phewwww. I thought you were in for it too... BTW the engine is about 80% tore apart. Complete topend off just need to remove it from the chassis, building up for that lol.... Its interesting that askeda similar question like this quite some time ago and got not thorough answers, followup questions I think were the kicker... Thanks for the help sometimes you just need to know what you need to ask to get answers you need....

P.S hands on your head, turn around and throw me the keys...
                      You are under arrest and I am confiscating your motorcylce..!!!!
                      Carrie AKA mini-fuzz !!

Comment

Are you sure that it wouldn't be quicker/easier/less painful/cheaper to have Falicon repair your existing crank? They are in Florida and have a reputation for good work. Stan Gardner of GRC has a very good rep as well. $650 will repair a crank sometimes and these guys will tell you exactly what you have when they're done.

Comment

quote from FALICON 1400

Comment

I bought this 1150 head on ebay from a guy in canada. He sells alot of gs1150 parts. You should log on and ask him about a crank. I have several 1100 cranks, but no 1150. I also have 1400 into my falicon crank. They put a billet left end on it for me. I think that's the end your having trouble with.

Comment

Working...
                            X