carb rebuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb rebuilds

Long story short -- just got a 1981 GS650E. The carbs are solid varnish. I'm cleaning them, but can't get the main or pilot jets out. Will this be a problem? Also, what else should I watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Re: carb rebuilds

If they are varnished up so solidly that you cannot remove them, its a pretty safe bet they are varnished up badly enough that they must be removed and cleaned. I have had to soak badly varnished carbs for as long as 3 days to be able to remove jets.

There isnt an alternative.

Earl

Originally posted by scarr
    Long story short -- just got a 1981 GS650E. The carbs are solid varnish. I'm cleaning them, but can't get the main or pilot jets out. Will this be a problem? Also, what else should I watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
      There is an alternative!! find an auto repair place that has the new "ultrasonic" cleaner, faster and wont damage o-rings.
      Dink

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
        The pilot jet is slotted on top, so I assume it is threaded. But the main jet has a slot in the side. will this just push out from the inside of the carb? There is a brass pin in the body that lines up with the slot.

Comment

The main jet pushes out through the top of the carb once the slide and needle is removed, not from underneath in the float bowl.
          Dink

Comment

I was speaking as/for someone that would be doing the work at home. eh eh

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Dink

Earl
            There is an alternative!! find an auto repair place that has the new "ultrasonic" cleaner, faster and wont damage o-rings.
            Dink

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I was speaking as/for someone that would be doing the work at home. eh eh

Earl :-)

Earl
              Dink
              Picky picky
              Dink

Comment

Oh go chase a wallaby with a flyswatter. :-)

Earl

Picky picky
                Dink

Comment

Oh go chase a wallaby with a flyswatter. :-)

Earl

Picky picky
                  Dink
                  That would be pretty funny....after the wallaby got the flyswatter out of Dinks hands!
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Boys - Boys - Don't fight!

OK, so far so good. I've got the four main jets out and three of the the four pilot jets (soaking the stubborn fourth).

Just one more question: The Clymer book says that the main jets have o-rings - but I didn't find any! Is this a misprint?

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Comment

Probably

I think it's probably a mistake...(I've never seen a main jet that had an "O" ring). The Clymer books are pretty good but I've found a couple of obvious errors in mine. :?
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

There are some press fit main jets that do use "O" rings, but none of the GS models with Mikuni carbs use "O" rings on their main jets. I think you found a printing error. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by scarr
                        Boys - Boys - Don't fight!

OK, so far so good. I've got the four main jets out and three of the the four pilot jets (soaking the stubborn fourth).

Just one more question: The Clymer book says that the main jets have o-rings - but I didn't find any! Is this a misprint?

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Comment

Working...
                        X