Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition Problems , Still having heaps of trouble GS1100GK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Problems , Still having heaps of trouble GS1100GK.

Hi all , again. Still more problems with the old GK. :x The bikes been misfiring when warmed up , and getting worse all the time. Ive had the carbs off & cleaned, balanced them Etc.( no joy,) repaced both coils , spark plugs & plug caps (seemed a little better for a while) . I hooked up a induction type timing light to each spark lead, to cheak spark Etc. No. 1 & 2 are firing real strong, N0. 3 & 4 are firing intermittently , so I tested the Signal Generator, (it was with in specs) My question to you all could the problem be with the Igniter Unit & how do i test it Iv`e priced a new one from our local Suzuki dealer, $680 Aus. 8O so I will have to be pretty sure thats the problem . Any help or advice you gui`s might offer would be greatfully accepted,( Im hanging for a ride ) Thanks Steve from OZ.

Stephen;
    Did you switch the coils around to see if the problem follows the coil ??
    Could be a bad coil.
    Do you have a manual?? There is a procedure to test the ignitor unit...I believe it requires a 1 1/2 volt battery...but you have to be very careful not to fry the unit. I don't have the procedure infront of me.
    But my suspicion is it's not the ignitor...if it were bad you wouldn't get any intermittent spark.

I'd stick with checking the coils and associated wires to them.
    How are you plug leads?? Old, dried out and cracked??

What's the color of your plugs?? That can tell you alot too.

Comment

Have you checked the wiring between the signal generator and the coils?
      Axel

Comment

Re: Ignition problems.

When you say your GK is misfiring, do you mean backfiring? I had the same problem until I took advice of some of the members of this forum and replaced the manifold boots and O-rings. Actually I think the O-rings were all I really needed to replace and could have saved myself $100. But since replacing them my GK fires up nicely, without all the poping and snarling it used to make. The O-rings cost about $9 U.S.

Comment

Working...
        X