speedo problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo problem

In cold weather the speedometer needle never moves. In warm weather it works perfectly with no bouncing or anything. I have no idea why that would happen. Any ideas?

there is a grease applied at the factory, it has probably hardened with age and dirt and needs cleaning out, the cold will of cause also harden it more.
    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      there is a grease applied at the factory, it has probably hardened with age and dirt and needs cleaning out, the cold will of cause also harden it more.
      Dink
      Is that in the instrument cluster, the cable, the wheel hub or all of the above?

Comment

Pour some marvel mystery oil down the speedo cable and see what happens. I bet it works fine from then on.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiRyder
          Dink
          Is that in the instrument cluster, the cable, the wheel hub or all of the above?
          Actually inside the speedo itself, but giving the cable and drive unit a god flush and lube aint gonna hurt either.
          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiRyder
            Dink
            Actually inside the speedo itself, but giving the cable and drive unit a god flush and lube aint gonna hurt either.
            Dink
            Aight then, I guess I'll be taking the instrument cluster apart. Thanks Dink!

Comment

A related question:

My speedometer gives an indicated zero all the time now, which is high on the list of things to fix for obvious reasons. In trying to nail down where the problem is, should I be able to detach the drive cable and spin the front wheel, and see if the inside of the cable is spinning?

What's a good approach to troubleshooting the speedo?

Comment

The most common problem with a speedo drive is the lower end that connects to the wheel. It engages the drive cog with a split end and when the cable get corroded, causing excess drag, the drive cog wrings the split end off the cable. Remove the speedo cable end from the back of the speedometer. You will see a square ended cable. Pull on the square end of the cable. The cable will slide out. You will be able tell easily if the split drive portion is still on the other end. If it is, just clean the cable, oil it lightly, slide it back into the casing and with your fingers, when it is as far down as it appears can go, turn the square drive end with your fingers while pushing down lightly. You wil fell it line up on the drive cog and then drop down about 1/8". That seats the cable to its drive. If you do not feel it seat and plug the top end into the speedo and it is not engaged, the first time the front wheel turns, it will wring the end off it. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by RockyMtnRoadRash
                A related question:

My speedometer gives an indicated zero all the time now, which is high on the list of things to fix for obvious reasons. In trying to nail down where the problem is, should I be able to detach the drive cable and spin the front wheel, and see if the inside of the cable is spinning?

What's a good approach to troubleshooting the speedo?
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you take a small screwdrive, needle nose pliers to the speedo gear box on the wheel. you can un screw the insert where the cable goes. You CAN NOT disasemble it, you can wash it out & pour in some new grease

Comment

Working...
                  X