Is a valve adjustment nessecary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a valve adjustment nessecary?

One of the many things on my list of wrenching tasks this winter is to check the valve clearances. I recently did a compression test and came up with the following numbers for cyls 1-4 respectively: 172, 180, 182, 180. I thought these numbers were really good. Does this mean I really don't need to adjust the valve clearances, or could they actually be too tight and still need adjustment regardless of the test results?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

It is always a good idea to check the valve clearance when you get a chance. I've found that once the motor is broken in the clearance changes very little. I check mine evey time I change the oil and normally only have to adjust one valve if I have to adjust any at all. As far as being too tight, you can also have the adjustment too loose. It is also a good time to inspect the cams for any possible problems.

Hap

Comment

Should I remove the cams to inspect the seats? Or is it just the lobes that I need to worry about?
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Should I remove the cams to inspect the seats? Or is it just the lobes that I need to worry about?
        Just the lobes. To look at the valve seats you would need to remove the head but with the comptession readings you have I would bet money that they are fine.

Hap

Comment

You have the adj rocker arms Definately adjust them

Comment

Yeah, I'm pshyced that I don't have to deal with shims. I was gonna adjust them anyway, just for kicks.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

This would also be a good time to get a Real Gasket for your valve cover............

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                You have the adj rocker arms Definately adjust them
                Don't adjust them unless they need it. But if on one pair of valves you find that one of the valves has more clearance than the other but it is still within spec, you should try to adjust one of the two valves so that they are exactly the same or as close as you can get them. This extends the life of the rocker shaft and the arms.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                X