Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few questions

Hey all,

I've been learning alot from this forum, thanks for all of the valuable information! There's a few simple questions that I haven't been able to answer using the search feature so here goes.

1. Did all 1983 GS-1100 come with tube tires?
    2. Can I go to a tubeless tire?
    3. Have you been able to find good deals on tires at your local motorcycle shop or would you recommend buying on-line? Is there significant saving buying on-line?

Thanks for the wonderful advice you are all providing to us new owners!!

I'm almost positive they all used tubes, there was a question as to whether the rims were too porous to hold air, that said, I have heard of people going to tubeless with no problem...as for tires on-line, I get the best prices I've seen on-line, then go to my local dealer and ask if they'll beat the on-line price, which they do, and I end up saving the shipping cost from an on-line source, even though the dealer has to order them also, I like to save money where I can.

Comment

Re: a few questions

83 1100's came with tube type rims. There can be a problem with the rims being too porous and the tires not holding air very long. I have run four different originally tube type rims with tubeless tires over the last few years on the GS's and have not had any leak down. I also did a careful inspection of the rim shape and a comparison between tube and tubeless type rims to determine if there was any safety consideration in putting a tubless tire on a tube type rim. I found nothing on the rim to indicate a problem. I also did a high pressure/overinflation test with a tubeless tire on a tube type rim to see if it would blow off under extreme pressure. (I did it with an airline clamped onto the tire and standing behind a wall with a compressor and line guage :-) ) My conclusion was that unless you are going to run over 150 psi in your tires, they are not going to be thrown off the rim. :-) :-)

Yes, you can go to a tubeless tire. :-) However, most motorcycle shops will not mount a tubless tire without a tube on a tube type rim. You will most likely have to mount your own tires. I do.

ronayers.com seems to have about the best deals on a good selection of tires. I havent found any local dealers that will come close to what I can get tires for online.

Earl

Originally posted by Cracker
      Hey all,

I've been learning alot from this forum, thanks for all of the valuable information! There's a few simple questions that I haven't been able to answer using the search feature so here goes.

1. Did all 1983 GS-1100 come with tube tires?
      2. Can I go to a tubeless tire?
      3. Have you been able to find good deals on tires at your local motorcycle shop or would you recommend buying on-line? Is there significant saving buying on-line?

Thanks for the wonderful advice you are all providing to us new owners!!
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

the air loss issue has at least as much to do with the tire as it does the rim.
        in 83 suzuki pretty much had the porous issue taken care off, it is with the earlyer wheels that it can be a problem. (this is why honda used comstar wheels)
        on my 80 1000 I do not have a problem running tubless, my rear tire loose about 1 psi a month very acceptible the front tire looses about 1-1/2psi a week, the tire I had on the front before this one only lost about a half pound a month and close inspection turns up no recent defects with the wheel, it is the tire that is loosing the air, not the wheel.
        the current tire is the same make and model as the old one!

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.

Can you tell me what size tires I need for my '83 GS-1100? I looked for the info on the net and can't find the standard sizes. My bike is at my friends shop and he's on vacation otherwise I would just see what sizes are on there. I want to price them on that Ron Ayers website. If any of you have a similar bike, what model tires are you all running?

Earl- what special tools would I need to be able to mound the tires myself? If I need a special tool, can I rent it?

Ya'll are the geatest.

Comment

It just so happens at this very moment, I have an 83 GS 1100E in my shop being reclaimed from the dead. LOL The rear is a 130/90/17. I will be replacing that with a 140/80. The front is a 100/90/19. I will be replacing that with a 110/90/19. I like Metzeler and have been using them for a long time. I'm planning on trying some Pirelli sport Demons because Geesis is making me do that under dire threat. :-)

Some of the guys here have bought tire changing stands and I eventually will also, but for now, I made a 30" wide table with a hole in the middle a little larger than the brake disk/rotor. That way the disk drops into the middle and there is no pressure on it or risk of bending it.
            For tire irons, I went to Home Depot and bought 3 18" prybars. I ground the ends smooth polished them a bit so they would not cut a tire or scratch a rim. For a guard between the tire iron and the rim (so you dont scratch it) I use old plastic lids from butter tubs, milk cartons, etc. :-)
            To break the bead on the old tire, I bolted a wood post to the side of the table that stands about 12" above the table. On each side of the post, at the top of the post, I screwed a piece of 3/4 ply. There is a 1" hole drilled through the two pieces of ply and a short length of pipe goes through the ply. A 5 foot 2 x 4 with a 1' hole in its end pivots on the pipe. the 5 foot 2 x 4 has a wood arm (another 2 x 4) the hangs down. Its just a post with a
            pivoting arm at the top so you can put the wheel/rim on the table, pull the arm down and the hangine 2 x 4 presses the tire, which breaks the bead.

I think tire irons and lumber, screws, etc it cost me about $20.

For balancing, you can put the axle through the wheel and rest it on a couple of concrete blocks or whatever. You can use stick on weights or crim on weights at a tire shop, but the automotive crimp weights do not fit
            GS rims, so if you want to use them, You will have to be creative with some pliers and reshape them. (it took me a bit of practice to get the hang of doing that part) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Cracker
            Thank you all for your responses.

Can you tell me what size tires I need for my '83 GS-1100? I looked for the info on the net and can't find the standard sizes. My bike is at my friends shop and he's on vacation otherwise I would just see what sizes are on there. I want to price them on that Ron Ayers website. If any of you have a similar bike, what model tires are you all running?

Earl- what special tools would I need to be able to mound the tires myself? If I need a special tool, can I rent it?

Ya'll are the geatest.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl! You're like a motorcycle McGiver! :P Your invention sounds great but I might need to try and find a shop that will mount the tires. Thank you very much for the tire information.

Comment

Working...
              X