Where to buy gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy gaskets

Where would one find a Gasket set for a GS 650GL?

Those are good prices. I paid $114 for my last set for the 81 1100, they have it for $86.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've done great on e-bay.

Comment

Gaskets

Hello

Make all your own gaskets, with the exception of the head and base gaskets and if u can't find one make it from copper sheets . Yes copper the same as they did in the old days of vintage racing. The metal is tough enough yet soft enough to creat a seal on the head and base. Your compression is not high enough to cause a blowout. Make all of the other gaskets out of gasket paper available at any auto supply store. it takes time and practice but it becomes easier iwth time.

Tip ! If you have a intact gasket trace around it onto gasket paper and cut around the outside and inside with a very sharpe exacto knife. then get some hole cutters at your auto store for under $10.00 per set and if none are available make some out of mild steel pipe of variouse sizes by cutting them to 6inches in length and grind the outside edge to the inside edge to make a very reliable and sharpe hole punch.

Once you have a new gasket made to your liking trace the gasket onto more gasket paper and do not cut it out, remember to mark what the galket is for in the midle of the gasket area not to be used, instead put it in your tool drawer for later use if required. and you repeat this process with each new gasket . You will never have to worry about not being able to find or buy a gasket for any motor.

good luck! Archie

Comment

Archie, you need to post that in the tips section! Great advice!

Hap

Comment

I must say, in the past I've used breakfast cereal boxes to cut gaskets from rather than pay the price for a pre cut gasket, and you know what, its worked well. I dropped a gs550es a couple of years back, damaging the stator cover. I damaged the gasket removing the cover and couldn't get my hands on a gasket for less than $20 at the time and that was with a delay for posting etc. Out came the trusty Corn Flakes box and a craft knife and hey presto back on the road in a matter of minutes for pennies, obviously I wouldn't recommend it for use in a pressurised location or as a fit and forget repair but it does mean you're not over a barrel as regards having to shell out top dollar for OEM gaskets!.

If you haven't got the original gasket intact then you can do the following get some light oil, and, using a small artists paint brush, paint the mating surface of item you want the gasket for in a very thin coat of oil and then present this to the reverse of the cardboard box (better that risking wasting your gasket paper). When you have a reasonable imprint you can then use that as your cut out template!

If you are doing an engine strip down then its worthwhile getting a full gasket set at those prices as you can't buy the seals and o rings you need at competitive enough prices.

Comment

I have made a gasket a few time, But for a TEARDOWN BUY a complete set manny of the seals & Orings could be dificult to get individually & costly to get them from Suzuki

Comment

Anybody got a home brew idea for a Pingle fuel tap gasket? I made one out of some paper and it leaked like the Big Dig tunnels.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Got an old bike tube?? cut one out

Comment

I found that my local Suzuki dealer had good prices on gaskets etc. I was suprised they still carried anything for my 1979 GS 750, but they did.

I'd be very cautious buying anything from eBay. Seems like there is a lot of overpriced junk being sold there.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonDave
                      I'd be very cautious buying anything from eBay. Seems like there is a lot of overpriced junk being sold there.
                      I've bought loads of stuff from Ebay and if you know what you want and what is a reasonable price then it's great. I've only been ripped off once in over 300 transactions and that was for $5 after I took a chance for cheap software!

I've bought stuff from all over the world (I'm UK based) and found stuff that I'd never get over here.

Just before xmas I bought 3 recoil thread repair kits for the price (inc P+P) that I'd pay for one here (already used one when I sheared a bolt replacing the clutch on my GS850 over the hols). I've bought carb repair kits for 25% of the price I'd pay here!

Common sense is the key!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                        Anybody got a home brew idea for a Pingle fuel tap gasket? I made one out of some paper and it leaked like the Big Dig tunnels.
                        Get yourself a sheet of nitrile rubber Gasket or oil seal felt. You should be able to get them from local auto shops or classic car mail order shops. Well worth having in the garage for those unexpected jobs!

Comment

Working...
                        X