GS1150 rear wheel upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 rear wheel upgrade

I am upgrading the suspension on my 1984 GS1150es. I am using the parts from a 1992 GSXR 1100. The front end worked perfect but I am having problems with the rear rim. My swingarm is approximately 5/8 inch too narrow for the GSXR rear wheel(The gsxr1100 swingarm is, of course, 5/8 inches wider at the axle area). My question is, does a gsxr 4.5 inch rim have the same hub width as the 5.5 (including all spacers, brake setup, adjusters) or does anyone know if the 85-86 1150s with its 3.5 inch rim, has a wider swingarm? Also, does anyone know of where I can obtain an extended and widen swingarm? None of the swingarm fabricators will widen the swingarm for me.
    My other choice is to have a custom made rear brake bracket and some other machine work and I am not sure if that will suffice..

Thanks,
    Gary
    PS. My swingarm measures 9 inches across the axel area, the GSXR1100 is 9 5/8inches

JMC In Liverpool will make a swingarm EXACTLY like you are willing to pay for. www.swingarm.com I have one of the ones with extra bracing underneath and eccentric adjusters ( they are a pain to use ) on my 85 1150.

Comment

Hey GT1,

I have an 1150 with a 5.5 rear wheel. The swingarm I used can be located at (tracdynamics.com)

You will also need a 5/8 offset sprocket kit. I bought mine from Kosman Racing. I am not sure if they still make it, though. (Kosman.com)
      If you can't get a hold of one, I know someone who can modify your front sprocket cover to accept the offset sprocket.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have talked to tracdynamics, they no longer offer the swingarm for the 1150. Looks like Swingarm.com can build what I need.
        Fern, love your bike, its really beautiful.

GT

Comment

We need to get Trackdynamics to take the 1150 swingarm off the web site. I was maybe gonna go for one of them.

Comment

Working...
          X