Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a lass and a lack, master cylinders and handlebar upgrades!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a lass and a lack, master cylinders and handlebar upgrades!

Well, as I posted in the main forum, the high winds in boulder last month blew my poor bike right off it's centerstand!! not too much damage to the naked eye, busted turn signal fixed right up with black duct tape, may not even have to replace it (yet) but once I got er all taped up and went out for a toodle around the neighborhood, it became all too apparent that something else was amiss.

the handlebars are now an inch or two closer to the center on the left side!!!! well, that's not too bad, as I have an extra bar that I wanted to put on, but haven't gotten around to, as it was riding pretty nicely and why mess with what's not broken, right? (here's where I confess that the new bar is the forsaken L model bar I think, but hey, I'll give it a little bit and see how bad it can be!?)

So, I get it all pulled apart, controls and switches transferred (it's a little long on the reach for the brake line, but more on that later) and I realize that down low where I like the feel of the new bars, the brake resevoir is on one hell of a slant!! so much that all the fluid is pooled at the back, and far from the piston!! crap. so I put the bar back up high, where it's rather less comfortable, but at least the brakes work...!!!

my question, after all this longwindedness, is what might be a good fix for this?? I thought of maybe getting a new brake assembly, one from a newer sportbike where the actual resevoir is separtely mounted and has a hose to the cylinder? I would need a two caliper version, any other thoughts?? I just got three new steel lines, but all of them are a little too long, maybe it's a sign for the bars? so, any suggestions on how to lower these bars and still have brakes???

thanks in advance!!!
    'beard

aw, c'mon guys? any ideas?

maybe even just a model that I could use to search ebay with? what bikes might have a dual disc brake system with a separate fluid resevoir?

is this a bad idea altogether?

thanks?

Comment

I ran into the same problem with my drag bars. The only solution I could find was to use dogbones to raise the bars up enough where everything worked as they did with the stock bars.

When I did the switch my clutch was grabbing when I turned the handlebars and the brakes in the front didn't respond well at all.
      I'm looking at getting a custom set of handlebars made so that I can get a custom clutch, throttle and brake lines run on the bike.

Dm of mD

Comment

hmmm. that's not very heartening! :?

did your front brakes clear up after they were more level? you may have managed to pump some air in the lines? I certainly thought I might have...

I'm pretty sure if I had one of the newer setups, made for the two piece rocket style handlebars, I could get it to work... just don't know enough about other bikes to know what to look for! thanks for the reply!!!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
          hmmm. that's not very heartening! :?

did your front brakes clear up after they were more level? you may have managed to pump some air in the lines? I certainly thought I might have...

I'm pretty sure if I had one of the newer setups, made for the two piece rocket style handlebars, I could get it to work... just don't know enough about other bikes to know what to look for! thanks for the reply!!!
          Yes, my brake problems cleared up after the bar-reswap.
          I have no idea how a pair of clip-ons would work. I take it that you would have to swap over the cylinder and lines from a sportbike?

I may just leave this bike as it is if I can get my V-twin Revtech engine, single-carb ratbike project rolling.

Dm of mD

Comment

I was thinking the master cylinder with the separate resevoir, maybe even staying with the same lines as are on it now. what I need is a cylinder that can be mostly vertical while the resevoir remains horizontal, and still have fluid throughout... :?

ooh, single carb, that might be nice!

Comment

My 750 has clip ons from the previous owner. All the lines appear to be original too, since they all look a bit long. I was wondering about the brakes since they feel on the weak side (especially since this one has the dual disc front end). Maybe it's the same deal as yours with the piston not getting the fluid. I'll check it out.

Comment

Yep, sounds just like what happened to me Isaac.
                Brakes were real squishy and weak.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                X