Tappet Depressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tappet Depressor

Do I really need to buy a tappet depresssor to pull the shims out when I set the valve clearances? Is there another way to do it without buying the tool? Bike Bandit has it for about $110, way too much for using it just a few times. Any ideas?

Terry

JC Whitney has the tool for about $28. Worth the price. You may be able to do the job without one, but I bet it would be a first class b!tch. Had one when I had my 78 GS750, and it makes the job a piece of cake.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

Thanks John Paul. I'll check them out. That's a lot better than over $100.

Terry

Comment

I just finished setting my valves. I started by depressing the buckets with a screwdriver. It worked okay for the outside ones but not for the inside.
        I looked into buying that tool, which I'm sure would work great, but then I stumbled upon sone 3/8" key stock material I had in the garage.
        I spent some time bending it to look like the tool then took the angle grinder to cut notches needed to sit on the bucket, but not the shim.
        It is by no means perfect, but it was free and works pretty good for as often as I'm going to set the valves.

Comment

Cyclerecycle online sells the tapped depressor tool for $28. I think its well worth the money. You could tear up more money than that messing around with screwdrivers and besides, the tool makes the job a piece of cake.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl, I went to cyclerecycle.com and it was a bicycle website. Do you have the correct address for cyclerecycle so I can check out the tappet tool?

Terry

Comment

Why sure nuff. :-) try

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose
              Earl, I went to cyclerecycle.com and it was a bicycle website. Do you have the correct address for cyclerecycle so I can check out the tappet tool?

Terry

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks, their shipping charges are less than JC Whitney. I'll get it from them. This bike sure keeps me busy working on it all the time. But, I love it!

Terry

Comment

Yep, I spend quite a bit of time "working" on mine too, but most of it is time spent just tweaking things in my quest for a perfect running bike. Doing your own work is kinda nice. There's a lot to be said for being able to take an old bike anywhere, anytime and know for certain that everything on it is RIGHT.

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose
                  Thanks, their shipping charges are less than JC Whitney. I'll get it from them. This bike sure keeps me busy working on it all the time. But, I love it!

Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X