Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearing changes...good or bad idea?

Hey all,
    Now that I have fixed the leaking oil seal (thanks all), and I am riding more I am noticing that my 83 1100E, is smooth a silk at 55 mph ( the national speed limit in the 80's for our younger friends, terrible times), But it is somewhat buzzy at now legal cruising speeds.
    My questions are: worth while to change to a slightly taller sprocket ratio?
    2. are the different sprockets even available any more"
    3. If it is worth while, any recommendations on tooth changes, and how much would I loose in acceleration ( My 1100 pulls pretty hard, but I am around the 260 lb mark ).

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Derrick

ok,
    changed my search criteria and found a host of info on the 530 chain conversion, so that answers some of my questions, but I still wonder if it is worth while on my 1100e and are there any suggestions on ratios?

thanks,
    Derrick

Comment

Re: Gearing changes...good or bad idea?

I think the sprockets you would need are still available in #630 through Dennis Kirk. My feeling is if you ride a lot in the 65-70 mph range, then its worthwhile to change ratios. I think the stock sprockets for the E are 15 42. So, that drive ratio is 2.8 Increasing the smooth cruising speed from 55 to 70 mph for the same rpm is going to require about a 27% taller gear ratio. Thats a pretty big change, particularly for the bike considering a 260 lb rider. You may not be happy with the reduction in performance. I'm also inclined to think that would cancel a reasonable ability to carry a passenger of any size. I probably would not go below a ratio of 2.5, all things considered. To ratio speed and vibration levels as youre hoping for would require a ratio of about 2.1

Earl

Originally posted by DerrickC
      Hey all,
      Now that I have fixed the leaking oil seal (thanks all), and I am riding more I am noticing that my 83 1100E, is smooth a silk at 55 mph ( the national speed limit in the 80's for our younger friends, terrible times), But it is somewhat buzzy at now legal cruising speeds.
      My questions are: worth while to change to a slightly taller sprocket ratio?
      2. are the different sprockets even available any more"
      3. If it is worth while, any recommendations on tooth changes, and how much would I loose in acceleration ( My 1100 pulls pretty hard, but I am around the 260 lb mark ).

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Derrick
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks Earl,
        I guess I should have done the math before posting my question, I am not sure I want to give up that much performance.
        Maybe I wil hunt or other ways to reduce the handlebar buzz, a little slower is ok, ( My riding style is a little more relaxed at 40 than it was at 20), but SSLLLOOWWW.... is always bad!

thanks
        Derrick

Comment

THE number 1 vibration reducing solution I have found is a really good carb synch. Afyours already are well synched, then epoxylead shotting the handlebars and thicker grips may help. I used to by some oversize rubber grips from J.C. Whitney because of vibration. (no, not for the 1150 LOL)

Earl

Originally posted by DerrickC
          thanks Earl,
          I guess I should have done the math before posting my question, I am not sure I want to give up that much performance.
          Maybe I wil hunt or other ways to reduce the handlebar buzz, a little slower is ok, ( My riding style is a little more relaxed at 40 than it was at 20), but SSLLLOOWWW.... is always bad!

thanks
          Derrick
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X