want to change to a nice exhaust can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to change to a nice exhaust can?

i have a aliumin header called a pro-pipe but would like to fit a nice can on it like a two brothers or something of that nature,has anyone done this does it look good, i know i'd have to make new pipe and from the 4 into one and new brackets but would it be worth it?

Silencer

Hi Bradc,
    It all depends a little on personal taste and what kind of GS you have. I fabbed a modern V&H silencer with fixed linkpipe (see http://www.vanceandhines.com/spsp4.html ) onto some old 4-1 downpipes for my GS. Old 4-1 types tend to have a straight ''join'' where newer ones have an angular one, this V&H happened to fit my 4-1. For an 1100 I wouldn't go smaller than 50mm (2") inside dia. for good flow on a baffle-less silencer. So look for a modern silencer off of a bike with equal displacement and you're good. Just have some local welder put the right size sleeve on it and make sure everything stays clear of footrests etc. That's the catch really, as modern silencers are more upswept than old types. That's why I removed the old front and rear pegs/ brackets too and moved to some FZR items.

good luck!

Marco.

Comment

pipe

Hello Brad

Look on ebay to see if you can find a pipe that u like the looks of. Try looking on ebay for a GSXR 1000 silencer and mid pipe, most guys sell the stock unit because they have put on a custom silencer and sell them real cheep. or try a Busa pipe.
      Best of luck !Archie

Comment

I had a D&D exhaust on my 1100. Here is a pic of what it looked like:

I removed it because it was real loud. Had a nice deep note, but man, when I really got on it, it was deafening. I belive the previous owner must have had the mid-pipe custom made, but it looks like a no brainer to me.

I think the only restriction in making it look real modern is that our old bikes use dual shocks. I imagine that would prevent us from mounting a pipe up higher to look more like a modern sport bike.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          I had a D&D exhaust on my 1100. Here is a pic of what it looked like:

I removed it because it was real loud. Had a nice deep note, but man, when I really got on it, it was deafening. I belive the previous owner must have had the mid-pipe custom made, but it looks like a no brainer to me.

I think the only restriction in making it look real modern is that our old bikes use dual shocks. I imagine that would prevent us from mounting a pipe up higher to look more like a modern sport bike.
          Awesome, that is exactly what I want to do!!!! Is that a MAC header?
          8O

Dm of mD

Comment

Actually it's a Vance & Hines Header. I have a MAC on there now, it looks like this:

I've heard a lot of negative about the MAC, as far as quality and such, but I love this pipe. It has a real nice ceramic glossy finish that has held up real nice, it's a 4-2-1, which I like better than the V&H 4-1, and best of all, it's nice and quiet. I don't like to draw any more attention to myself than absolutely nessecary (loud pipes don't save lives). Oh, and it was freakin' $89 off e-bay! Brand new! That really was the best part of all.
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Actually it's a Vance & Hines Header. I have a MAC on there now, it looks like this:

I've heard a lot of negative about the MAC, as far as quality and such, but I love this pipe. It has a real nice ceramic glossy finish that has held up real nice, it's a 4-2-1, which I like better than the V&H 4-1, and best of all, it's nice and quiet. I don't like to draw any more attention to myself than absolutely nessecary (loud pipes don't save lives). Oh, and it was freakin' $89 off e-bay! Brand new! That really was the best part of all.
              I don't think MAC makes that pipe any more..they still make the 4-1. I have the MAC 4-2-1 and have no problem with it except it is now 17 years old and is starting to get some pits. Also, the exhaust collers bend easy when you tighten down at the head. It gives plenty of room to access the oil filter and more clearance than the V&H. It also out lasted the V&H header, the Supertrapp, and the Kerker I've had in the past.

Hap

Hap

Comment

i like the idea of a gsxr 1000 stock pipe thats a nice look i think too, as long as the pipe is 2" should be good right guys? ya on ebay there cheap like mud might even buy two just in case one gets scratched .

Comment

ya on ebay there cheap like mud might even buy two just in case one gets scratched .
                  Really? I'll have to check that out. My MAC pipe is a 2 1/4" I think? I'll measure when I get home.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

Another example here:

Originally posted by pidgey
                    1982 GS1000S Katana
                    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Nice can!
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

My problem with the MAC was always never finding a sportbike can/midpipe that would mount up to the 2.25 inch header of the MAC.
                        Still haven't to this day. I'm going to go to a muffler shop and have them fabricate a midpipe that will put the mufflercan I select in the place I want when it is attached to the MAC header.

That seems to be the only option with MAC headers.

:?
                        Dm of mD

Comment

True. My D&D exhaust can wouldn't fit on the MAC header otherwise I might have tried it.
                          Currently bikeless

Comment

Yeah, with a mac header...a custom mid-pipe is the only way that I see to go. Why oh why did they have to be so strange with their can-to-header size!?!?!?!?!?

:x
                            Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                              Yeah, with a mac header...a custom mid-pipe is the only way that I see to go. Why oh why did they have to be so strange with their can-to-header size!?!?!?!?!?

:x
                              Dm of mD
                              Cause they want you to buy from them!

Hap

Comment

Working...
                              X