Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hose that ran to airbox from engine

Originally posted by Ryan
    I knocked out the airbox on my 82gs450 and I noticed this rubber hose running from the top of the engine that ran to the original air box. Should I do anything with this hose? or just leave it unfiltered.

I saw these K&N crankcase vent things at dennis kirk maybe I could clamp on one of those to the hose.

Check it out and tell me what yall think?
    The hose vents the crankcase and it needs to be there and open. On later model cars it had all sorts of vacuum valves to control its operation.

The filter you have there will allow the crankcase pressure to vent but will filter any dust from coming in, but this is not usually a problem. The real problem comes when oily smoke condenses in the tube and slowly runs out and smears over your battery cover or somewhere, and also clogs the filter.

You can make an oil catch can easily. Extend the hose with some black PVC garden watering system hose. Bring it down behind the motor, under the battery case and above the swing arm pivot.

Find a metal or plastic container like a half size Coke can, something with a screw lid is fine. Bring the vent hose through the lid, down to the bottom. Cut the hose into a V shape at the end so it doesn't close off against the bottom of the can. Stuff the can full of stainless steel kitchen scrubbing pads. Push another hose through the lid but have it in the top area of the can. Take this hose up under the rear wheel arch and tie it off near the end of the rear mudguard.

This hose will vent the gas but any oil will condense in the can against the steel wool and drip to the bottom. You can unscrew the lid every month or so, depending on riding distances etc, and empty it out - not back into your motor as it has water vapour condensed in it as well.

You can find out more here

Kim

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I had no idea that vent tube would make such a mess. I will definatly reroute that tube. Thanks for all the help!!

Comment

I left mine open for a while. It sprays oil vapor on the top of the engine. Also when I came home after a ride I smelled like exhaust/ oil (according to my GF). I ran a hose to an old NOS Octane Booster bottle. Everyone has to double take when they see the bright blue bottle sticking out from behind the side cover.

Oh, by the way if you seal the catch can make sure to drill a couple holes in the top. It will pressurize and blow the hose out.

Comment

Working...
        X