'85 GS550L Tool Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550L Tool Kit

I've got an 85 550 L, and of course, I don't have the original tool kit. I tracked down a nice little pouch that I'd like to make into a replacement. Does anyone have one of the originals, who wouldn't mind showing what it came with? Some photos would be even better...

I'd hate to put together a kit, and then out on the road find out I didn't have the right size wrench.

And, of course, I'd like it keep it as light and simple as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Try this GSX550 site in Germany, the link below is a url for a scanned copy of the owners handbook which has details on the toolkit (albeit for the ES not the L, toolkit should be the same)

I suggest you don't buy one of the replacement toolkits that are available but buy some decent tools to carry round with the bike.

Comment

get this... with a little work Sears sells a metric and US (imperial) standard motorcycle repair kit in a soft sided pouch/bag for 79$... with a little work I bet it could be fitted on the bike no problem.

If/when Nerobro puts pods on his bike... where the airbox used to be I'm thinking about making a lid for his old airbox and placing the tool kit inside for him as a gift(read as I was too poor at christmas)....

click this link for the metric kit on sears.com

maybe a bit big for fitting in the space you have but taking a few of the extra items out(only need one of the two spark plugh removers) it should fit.

Comment

Sears Tool Kit

I had seen the Sears kit, which is what inspried me to build my own. I figured I could do better than $80, make it smaller, and not carry (and pay for) some of the baggage (mini WD-40 etc.) Customize the wrenches & driver sizes, etc... We'll see how it works out.

I found a canvas minor surgery kit at an army/navy store that looks like a great start. It was cheap, and if I can fit the needed tools in it, will be about the perfect size.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for the manual link

That link to the manual is just the ticket. Thanks!

Does anyone have any photos or sources for the box wrench, and maybe the ring wrench? The ring wrench is 19mm, the box wrench doesn't have a size listed.

Rob

Comment

I was able to pick up a tool kit form an '82 GS550 (unknown model).

The kit looks like it has never been used (no wear or stripping on any of the working surfaces) The screwdrivers are in crummy shape, but that is because of the cheap design of the handles & how the blades insert. Easier to replace a screwdriver than find a short handled 17mm wrench.

As compared to the manual linked above (p. 42), there is no box wrench or box wrench handle. Does anyone know what the box wrench is supposed to fit? What size is it? Can anyone send me a picture of theirs? Thanks a lot.

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X