Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie and a carburetor

Opinions please-

What are the collective thougths on whether a newbie, who's never done it before, could handle taking a carb off, cleaning and reinstalling it?

I have an '83 GS-1100-G with no mods, all original.

there's a million shades of newbie....are you mechanically inclined at all?...how do you feel about doing them, it's not real hard but you may need extraneous other skills if something breaks, precision and thoroughness count too, there's plenty to read up on here about it, do a search for carb rebuilding and get yourself a reading sandwich

Comment

The first time I did it, I was a little intimidated. Do you have a manual? Even if you don't, you can print the bikebandit.com schematic and use that. Once you get into it, you'll be fine.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        The first time I did it, I was a little intimidated. Do you have a manual? Even if you don't, you can print the bikebandit.com schematic and use that. Once you get into it, you'll be fine.
        Thanks for the info. Does that bike bandit website have a diagram that I can print off? If I sign up with them will they spam me to death? I'd hate to have my e-mail address sold off.
        Thanks again for the help

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
          there's a million shades of newbie....are you mechanically inclined at all?...how do you feel about doing them, it's not real hard but you may need extraneous other skills if something breaks, precision and thoroughness count too, there's plenty to read up on here about it, do a search for carb rebuilding and get yourself a reading sandwich
          Thanks Dave-
          I have average skills but I'll be working on the bike at a buddy's garage and he has above average skills. I just hate to always ask him to help. He's already helped me alot with my '84 truck. If I can get a diagram I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thanks for your opinion.

Comment

No need to sign up, I'll even post the link to the schematic:

Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              No need to sign up, I'll even post the link to the schematic:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit..._id~707010.asp
              Wow! Thanks alot for the help, that will help enormously!

Brian

Comment

You should have a good manual.
                Some basics for the first timer:
                It can help to make a quick video of your carbs. Slowly scan the carbs outside. This can help you go back and remember where a little washer or ? was or which way something went. You can video tape the insides too as you go. The diaphragm assy', the float/jet area...
                Use good fitting tools.
                Lay the carbs on a large towel to keep parts from rolling away.
                Keep each carbs parts separate, don't mix.
                Lay the parts out in order.
                If you're worried about putting things back right, you can always do one carb at a time.
                Don't let carb cleaner contact the rubber parts. If it does, rinse quickly with gas or kerosene.
                Use compressed air to help clean the carbs passages. Verify the air escaping through a passage.
                Be sure to count how far out your mixture screws are and keep a record. Be careful not to strip their heads. These screws can be tight.
                Check all o-rings for condition. Also, the manifold o-rings will probably need replacing, if you have them.
                Be sure to set the floats and be sure they are straight and not tweaked.
                Buy a carb synch tool to make the carbs work their best.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I did mine a couple months ago. I'm not new to mechanics or carbs, just never worked on motorcycles before.

I printed out the whole carb section in the GS garage area. I used that along with my manual.

Keith pointed out very good ideas. Ones that I used anyway. I only did 1 carb at a time. Put it back together, then started on the next one. Mine were fairly clean and I didn't "Dip" them, so that may have made it easier to do 1 at a time. I also have access to microscopes and Eye loops, so as to check all the jets and passages. I found those to be very helpful.
                  After the first one, the rest were a breeze. They aren't really that complicated if you understand carbs a little. The Carb clean up series is totally awesome. I used that more than my Factory manual.

My problem was getting the carbs back in with my stock air box.

Good Luck. Actually, the cleaning and rebuilding of the carbs, I think, you will find quite fun.
                  Getting them back in? Let the pro's here give you some ideas before you try it.

Comment

I think Earl would suggest pod filters
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Reinstalling the carbs is easier if prepared. Before attempting, it is best to place a roll of gauze, a small can of liquid electrical tape, two dozen bandaids and a bottle of linement close by. After each attempt, coat the gouges in your fingers, wrists, and arms with liquid tape, wrap in gauze while the tape is still sticky and then layer with bandaids. Apply linement to your back, and then try again. :-)

Earl

[quote="DMPLATT"]
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Reinstalling the carbs is easier if prepared. Before attempting, it is best to place a roll of gauze, a small can of liquid electrical tape, two dozen bandaids and a bottle of linement close by. After each attempt, coat the gouges in your fingers, wrists, and arms with liquid tape, wrap in gauze while the tape is still sticky and then layer with bandaids. Apply linement to your back, and then try again.

Earl
                        , forgot the beer and the notepad as to write down the new swear words you've created.

Comment

a very good tip. when removing the float bowl pin, support both towers so they are not stressed when you are tapping the pin to remove it. these break easy if they become unsupported.

here is this too

-ryan
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

im a newbie as well, and that website is just perfect, it displays everything you need in a diagram

Comment

Working...
                            X