Electrical/Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical/Charging System

I've read about all the trouble people have had with their electrical systems, and charging systems.

I'm just curious if there is a quick way I can tell if mine has already been thru that. Obviously mine is working well, knock on wood.
    Were the problems corrected by '83? Or should I start to gather spares?

Thanks.

On the 1100E the unregulated leg was corrected in the '81 production year but the real problem with the R/R was the poor cooling and the low quality electronics...mainly the poor cooling. If you have an aftermarket R/R with increased cooling fins then that would be a good fix.

On the stator, it was the death of the R/R that often brought the stator to its' knees. If your R/R is fine then your stator is probably going to be fine also.

On a side note, I was very lucky with my stator...it lasted 22 years before it died...about 2 months after the original R/R died on my bike. I think the reason mine lasted so long was that I went to pods shortly after the warranty ended and I got more cooling air to the R/R because the removal of the air box allowed more air to flow in that area of the bike.

Hap

Comment

MOST of the problems start with bad connections. Even the new bikes have elect problems

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        MOST of the problems start with bad connections. Even the new bikes have elect problems
        That is very true...excess current causing overheating. I forgot about that. But I still believe that if the R/R is kept cool it can withstand bad connections far better than one that does not get the cooling air that it needs.

Hap

Comment

So I guess I can look and see if they are OEM, or after market. THis would tell me if it's been replaced?
          I wasn't sure if there was some sort of rigging or special trick that someone might have done to it?
          I'll have to check when I get a minute. Is it easily identified as to Suzuki part or after market?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
            Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            That is very true...excess current causing overheating. I forgot about that. But I still believe that if the R/R is kept cool it can withstand bad connections far better than one that does not get the cooling air that it needs.

Hap
            the katana R/R should last forever mounted out in the open!!!

Comment

A good battery, fully charged = no problem??

Comment

Besides clean connectors and a good airflow to the R/R, there is something else that w2ill contribute to the life of the R/R. Excess heat is the downfall of the R/R and excess charging current must be passed off as heat. I normally run my headlight on high beam and I have aux running lights and an additional tail light so I use up almost all of my charging capacity. If I want to put more charge into my battery, I switch to low beam and turn off my running lights. My R/R has minimal excess current to dissipate.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                X