Air Filter cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Filter cleaning

Whats the best thing to clean a foam air filter with? Also would using a different viscosity oil weight change the air flow enough to notice?

I always used gasoline to clean my dirtbike filters and oiled them up with any motor oil I had laying around. If you squeeze the oil out of the filter properly it shouldn't matter what kind of oil you use.

Comment

I've cleaned my filters with both soap/water and with paint thinner; both have worked fine. I then reoil with air filter specific oil.

Comment

Mild detergent and hot water or kerosene will clean foam without drying it up.
        I think air filter oil made for foam filters traps dirt better and is better for the foam too.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

DAWN dishwashing liquid and hot water work real good for cleaning the foam elements.

Comment

I'm a dishwashing soap guy also.

Yep, Uh Hu, Yu Betcha.

Clean it, let it dry and spray it down with air filter oil.
            Like Keith says, I think filter oil is stickier and traps the dirt better.
            It also doesn't migrate to the bottom of the filter,

My 2bits
            Rico

Comment

I prefer paper throwaways! Anyway, I'm stuck with three of the greasy things. I use kerosene followed by dish detergent and water. I swap a half-gallon between two 5 gallon plastic buckets. Whether cleaning chains or filters, dirt settles out really quickly, and I'm able to pour off crystal clear kerosene for use again and again. DON'T use gasoline except as motor fuel! Kerosene is cheaper, and won't kill you.

Comment

Working...
              X