Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Please! Will a 1980-81 1000G head fit a 83 1100G block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please! Will a 1980-81 1000G head fit a 83 1100G block?

Hello and many many thanks to all of you GS enthusiasts. I have been reading, learning and appreciating the wealth and breadth of knowledge. I have a 80-81 1000G head and want to know if it will bolt up to an 1982/83 1100G motor. If it will I intend to have it ported and juice it up with a set of Yosh stage 2 cams that I bought from Terry (Australia) on ebay last year. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There's different part numbers for the 81 & 83 heads. The bolt patterns look the same, as does the cam chain tension system. Do you have the two types of head avialable for comparison? If so, see if the 1100 head gasket lines up with the 1000 head. Check the combustion chamber volume. If it's the same, go ahead. If not, You're probably better off waiting for an 1100 head to show up on e-bay.

Terry

Comment

the only differance I can come up with is combustion chamber shape and or size.
      the head gaskets are the same so it will bolt on, but you would need to see if the pistons will clear.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Terry, I have a gs1100 cylinder gasket on order BUT looks like that has already been answered by focus frenzy.
        As soon as I get a definitive answer about the combustin chambers and piston clearance I will post it here.

Comment

OK the answere is NO No the GS1000G and GS1100G head gaskets are definetely different. I got a junked 82 1100G cylinder and put it next to my 81 1000G cylinder and removed the head gasket and it definetely does not work on the 1100G block.... so much for that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Pointshyofgenius
            OK the answere is NO No the GS1000G and GS1100G head gaskets are definitely different. I got a junked 82 1100G cylinder and put it next to my 81 1000G cylinder and removed the head gasket and it definitely does not work on the 1100G block.... so much for that idea.
            are you sure the 82 cylinder is from a G and not a E???
            I checked two parts sources and they both listed the 1000G and 1100G as using the same head gasket, although the heads had different part numbers.
            the 1100E from 82 (and before) are a 16 valve engine and they do have a different cylinder with the studs and oil passages located differently.

Comment

Working...
            X