2nd Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Battery

This may be off the wall but what would be the down side to having a second battery on a motorcycle? Have an idea on putting in a second one (diesel trucks do this) so why not on the bike if a suitable mounting place can be found?

Re: 2nd Battery

Diesel trucks do it for starting, otherwise, they dont need dual batteries.
    I dont see the "upside" to adding a 2nd battery to a motorcycle since they are somewhat easier to bump start than a diesel truck. :-)

Adding a battery will not allow you to run higher wattage lights or more lighting or accessories because the bike does not have the charging capacity to maintain increased amperage consumption.

Earl

Originally posted by Giblet
    This may be off the wall but what would be the down side to having a second battery on a motorcycle? Have an idea on putting in a second one (diesel trucks do this) so why not on the bike if a suitable mounting place can be found?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Kind of a heavy way to run a walkman or charge a cell phone...

Otherwise, what would you need another battery for?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

2nd battery

I was thinking of extra starting capacity. The charging capacity was where I was concerned. Now, before you say it, I know a properly tuned GS shouldn't have any starting issues & I am working on it. I'm sure my starting difficulties will soon be over with the help I'm getting from the veteran GS'rs. Almost wish I had gotten one with lots of miles/use. Sitting up for years seems to do the most damage. Thanks for the response.

Steve

Comment

Re: 2nd battery

Youre correct that it is a tuning problem. My 1150 starts when it see's me coming.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Giblet
          I was thinking of extra starting capacity. The charging capacity was where I was concerned. Now, before you say it, I know a properly tuned GS shouldn't have any starting issues & I am working on it. I'm sure my starting difficulties will soon be over with the help I'm getting from the veteran GS'rs. Almost wish I had gotten one with lots of miles/use. Sitting up for years seems to do the most damage. Thanks for the response.

Steve
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I sais . . . .

HEY Earl! I said I was working on it! I've shown your post to it and asked why it couldn't do that. What did it say? Nothing! All I get is a blank stare just like my two teenage boys give me. Making progress though. It started right up Saturday morning when the temp was 30F. I left the choke all the way closed when I shut it down Friday night. May can just scrap that 2nd battery idea.

Comment

If you decide to do that, be sure to connect the batts in parallel (+ to +, - to - ), not series (gnd to -, + to -, + to MC hot)! Parallel will yield a 12 v, high amperage circuit, and series will yield a 24 v circuit at the same amperage.

However, Suzuki designed your bike to start with your battery, so there is no replacement for a bike that runs well.

Comment

Just a notion

Was just a wild idea I had since MC batteries just seem so dinky. Built an air induction system for my dad's 66 GMC that had a 305ci V-6. Got it up to 17 MPG on the highway anjd my dad said it never got more than 14 even when new. Used to just drive my dad nuts cause I could never leave well enough alone. He was always saying that GM, etc spent millions designing it to begin with. Will get her tuned correctly eventually.

Comment

Hey, Im not saying there is anything wrong with tinkering... Thats how mankind was blessed with all of our innovations in the first place!

Good luck on tuning from a fellow tinkerer.

Comment

Lawn mower

My dad died in 88 but I still find great amusement at his reaction to the completely disassembled lawn mower engine. Spit out his partial plate (dental) on that one .

Comment

Working...
                    X