weird question about my carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird question about my carbs

all my mains are 118 and the pilots are numbered .6135 accross all four.

When I look them up in the Hayne's manual cylinders 1 and 4 are 95
    cylinders 2 and 3 are 102.5

the pilots in the book are all 0.7....

has anyone gotten the dynojet kit? Does anyone know good jet kit or maybe a reliable set of numbers so I could buy my own set of jets....

I also have K&N pods and a Vance and Hines 4 into 1....

i can look some stuff up, keep on my a$$ and remind me i will have to go to the garage and get my jet kit with the info. what i rember is i am running dynojet 155 mains not to be confused with mikuno mains. do a search there should be x ref table some where. my kit came with adjustable needles, 150 and 155 DJ main jets (DJ155 mains if running hot coils and very lightly oiled filters, they can get a tade rich) and piolet jet reducers they basicly reduces the piolet jet opening by 80%. if you want i can just give you the kit part number, it was a kit for the 82'550mz but will work on your bike same stuff.

the stuff in your bike now seems like someone kinda did a stg 1 upgrade, they boosted the jet size and reduce the the piolet air intake, this richens things up a little and you can run a better breathing filter. this is good what kinda filter were you running before you tore into everything and how did the plugs read?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The plugs read black and sooty. Always have. :-) The bike is running really rich.

The bike came with the V&H 4into1 and the K&N air filters. Steve is almost as far off as I am as it goes for carburator tuning.

What size jets are you running? Seeing that you have a low restriction exhaust and pods. That should put me in the right reigon at least.

On a completely seperate point. I was really ejoying taking steves carbs apart. They have siamesed float bowls, diaphrams, and starting carburators. Otherwise they are completely seperate carburators. So you can run different jets in each venturi for both main jet and pilot jet.

There is also evidence that the pilot jet screws have been futzed with.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

i forgot that steve had the 16v 550 with the daul carbs , i thought i was talking to you last night nero, sorry it was late. do you think steve has a jet kit in his bike or did someone just stick these in there, were the carbs cleaned ever, if not try cleaning and snycing and put it all back ans see how it runs, if still rich we will need to try to step it down. maybe we can figure out some good jets and things to use according to how much they increased on my jet kit compared to the oem settings of my 80-82 carbs, then figure how diffrent my 80-82 carbs are from steve's 83 carbs and apply the diffrence to them. if that doesn't work then you will have to get a bunch of diffrent one less then 118 and just see how they work.
        on a side note make sure your carb boots and orings, behind the boots if you have them are good.

83 GS550E
        Mikuni
        BSW30SS
        30 mm

It should have 43410 stamped on the side

Fuel level: 6.5 +/- 0.5mm (.26 +/-.02in)
        float height: 20.5 +/- 1.0mm (0.81 +/- .04in)
        Main jet:
        cylinders 1 and 4: 95
        cylinders 2 and 3: 102.5
        main air jet: 1.0
        Jet Needle: 5C64
        Clip position: 1 groove from top
        needle jet: P-2
        Throttle Valve: 120
        Pilot Jet: 35
        Bypass: 0.8,0.7,0.8,0.8
        Pilot outlet: 0.7
        Float valve seat: 2.5
        starter jet: 55
        Pilot screw: Preset

GS550 (80-82) the specs are for the CV's

idle r/min 1100-+/-100r/min
        carb mik bs32ss (4 seprate carbs)
        id no 47160 (us) 47170 (can)
        bore size 32 (1.26)
        float height 22.4.+/-1.0 (0.88 +/-0.04)
        fuel level 5.0+/-0.5 (0.20 +/-0.04)
        main jet #92.5
        main air jet 1.6
        jet needle (4bel2 us model) (5f42-3rd notch canadian adjusable needle)
        needle jet x-6
        pilot jet #40
        throttle valve #135
        by pass (0.9, 0.7, 0.7 us model) (1.0,0.8,0.8 canadian)
        pilot outlet 0.7
        valve seat 2.0
        starter jet #35
        pilot screw 3.5 turns back (mixture screw)
        pilot air jet (us model #150) (#120 canadian)

do me a favor guy's and put your bike info as a signature so i can keep you guy straight and others know what bikes you are talking about
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

I know dynojet has a stage 3 kit specifically for my bike with pods and a 4 into 1... but it costs 125$... I was hoping some one has purchased the same kit in the past and could tell me what parts came in the kit. It looks like insted of a kit they just went in and "zeroed" all of the jets. Though on the other hand we just replaced the boot o-rings last night and the boots themselves are in very good shape.

Comment

The 118 Jet is the same as the K&N kit, I've just got one from K&N direct for $35.00 contents are

Base Main jet DJ118
            Alternate Main Jet DJ114
            Fuel Needle DN0308
            Pilot Air Jet DC0118
            It also includes plastic weigts for the diapraghm

A big thanks to SqDancerLynn1 for all the help getting the kit shipped to the UK for me!

Comment

maybe a K&N kit was added at some point. *shrug* dunno... I'm thinking of also just saving a few dollars and run it as is for a bit till the spring anyway. I haven't had the chance to fire her up since we fixed the carb boot o-rings and such.

Comment

look at the mains and see if a DJ 118 is stamped on it or if a little square with some more squares are stamped next to the 118.

-ryan
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x

Comment

I sent an E-mail off to K&N yesterday trying to wheedle a little info out of them. Seeing if maybe I can get what jets were used in thier kit since mine was no longer available according to thier website.

this is the response I got:

Dear Customer,

K&N is no longer a distributor of Dynojet Power Commander's or Jet Kits. Please contact Dynojet for more information about availability and other distributors. Their website address is www.dynojet.com. They can also be reached at 800-992-4993.

Thank you,
                  Leon S. Collins
                  K&N Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by Big N Daft
                    The 118 Jet is the same as the K&N kit, I've just got one from K&N direct for $35.00 contents are

Base Main jet DJ118
                    Alternate Main Jet DJ114
                    Fuel Needle DN0308
                    Pilot Air Jet DC0118
                    It also includes plastic weigts for the diapraghm

A big thanks to SqDancerLynn1 for all the help getting the kit shipped to the UK for me!
                    did you find any of these other parts in your bike, how do you know what size the piloets are? how did you figure that out.

k and n was just a redistrubuter of dynojet, i would try to figure out if you have these parts listed above to see if you already have a jet kit in your bike. are you needles adjustable? ( do they have a bunch of grooves at the top)

and see what the bottom of the main is stamped with a dj or a square with more squares.

-ryan
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

took the jets off this morning and took a look. There are no markings on tjets other than the numbers. and they are well spaced apart. There are also no grooves on the needles leading me to believe that they are stock and not adjustable.

Comment

Working...
                      X