Tank Restoration kits *Rust Problem*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Restoration kits *Rust Problem*

On another forum I asked if there are any tips on using those 20-30 dollar tank restoration kits. Well I get some people giving me tips and others telling me just to go to my hardware store and pick up Muriatic acid for tank etching and MEK or Acetone for water removal, then just to buy tank sealer. Can anyone shed any light>?

I did the Kreem kit on my 81 tank. It comes with some kind of acid or something to clean the tank out with, and a sealant. But the acid gets rid of the rust, not just water. If you don't get rid of the rust before sealing the tank, it's just gonna rot out again. $30 on the Kreem kit is totally worth it.

Have fun doing it- it sucks!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

i did the kreem kit a couple years ago and it worked well but was kinda messy and had to be real carefully not to ruin paint, mek will kill paint very quick. i have heard from mechanics that kreem will breakdown when exposed to alchol and ethonal which gas is starting to have. so i am going to try a por 15 kit this time for my other tank and will see how that goes. por 15 doesn't disolve in anything and it doesn't use as harsh chemicals for those who care, i may try a little MEK after i clean the tank useing their products to help remove water but i am going to call them first to make sure it is ok to use it.
      i get the gist from por they don't like useing harsh chemicals and try to advoid them and tell you to use a hairdryier for 8 hours or so to dry the tank out instead of mek :?
      i got the por kit from a dealer for 35 bucks too i think kreem was 50/70 bucks.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
        i did the kreem kit a couple years ago and it worked well but was kinda messy and had to be real carefully not to ruin paint, mek will kill paint very quick. i have heard from mechanics that kreem will breakdown when exposed to alchol and ethonal which gas is starting to have. so i am going to try a por 51 kit this time for my other tank and will see how that goes. por 51 doesn't disolve in anything and it doesn't use as harsh chemicals for those who care, i may try a little MEK after i clean the tank useing their products to help remove water but i am going to call them first to make sure it is ok to use it.
        i get the gist from por they don't like useing harsh chemicals and try to advoid them and tell you to use a hairdryier for 8 hours or so to dry the tank out instead of mek :?
        i got the por kit from a dealer for 35 bucks too i think kreem was 50/70 bucks.

-ryan
        Ryan,

The product is POR-15. I used it on two tanks a couple years ago and it worked great. The chemicals are MUCH safer than the KREEM kit. The main thing with either kit is to TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT! There are accusations out there from both sides saying the other's is junk but there are also praises about each product. I think people get bad results with either kit because they do a poor job. As far as cutting corners and trying to do it on the cheap , I'd say that the consequences of a tank lining that doesn't stick could be pretty bad. I did the POR-15 kit following the directions to the letter and ended up with two very nicely sealed tanks.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Another alternative you may want to consider is taking the gas tank to a local Radiator repair shop.

I did this with my tank, cost me about $100.00 canadian but i got a warranty with it!!

I just wasn't convinced i could do the job right with a off the shelf kit, plus from what i have read here it sounded like a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
            Another alternative you may want to consider is taking the gas tank to a local Radiator repair shop.

I did this with my tank, cost me about $100.00 canadian but i got a warranty with it!!

I just wasn't convinced i could do the job right with a off the shelf kit, plus from what i have read here it sounded like a lot of work.
            Yes, it is a lot of work. Actually not that hard but it takes a lot of time waiting for things to dry, etc. The radiator shop idea is a good alternative. Did they clean and seal or just clean it?

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

i think most radiator shops don't clean the tank they just coat them, thats one of the reasons i went with the por 15 kit.

joe how did you cover you holes, i was told i could just use some duct tape.

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                i think most radiator shops don't clean the tank they just coat them, thats one of the reasons i went with the por 15 kit.

joe how did you cover you holes, i was told i could just use some duct tape.

-ryan
                I covered the petcock hole with a metal plate and a gasket cut out of a bicycle inner tube. I drilled the appropriate holes and used the petcock screws to mount it. I can't remember what I used to cover the fuel level sensor hole. I'll have to take a look. I used the gas cap to cover the filler hole. None of the chemicals seemed to hurt it.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                  Originally posted by wrench

Yes, it is a lot of work. Actually not that hard but it takes a lot of time waiting for things to dry, etc. The radiator shop idea is a good alternative. Did they clean and seal or just clean it?

Joe
                  The Rad shop, cleaned the tank with acid, then sealed it .

Comment

Funny you mention the radiator shop, because I called one today, and for 125 they clean it with acid, seal it and send it back primed for paint. I think I'm gonna do that. Has a lifetime warentee.

Comment

Tank Restoration Kit "Rust Problems"

If you can spend $100 the best option you have (in my opinion) is the RUSTECO treatment. 1 gallon would cost $100, it will only attack the oxidation(not the metal) and after using it you can save it and use it again for other tanks or any rusted metal part. It's environment-friendly and won't even harm your skin. I find it excellent.
                      Go to: http://www.rusteco.com
                      Hope I can be of some help

Comment

Working...
                      X