Katana bodywork on a GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana bodywork on a GS1100E

I have an '83 GS1100E (82 Katana 1100 motor) and was wondering if the 82/83 Katana bodywork will bolt up without too much trouble? I have an opportunity to pick up an 1100 Katana with a seized motor and good bodywork for a good price. I guess I could always drop the motor in the Katana as well.

I might not be the best one to answer, but I think the frame is quite different. The front cowl and fender is probably alright, but I im thinking the tank, seat, covers and rear cowl will require some frame mods.

However, I'm pretty sure your motor will slide right into the Katana frame.

Dink should know.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The frame is basically the same for the 4-valve GS 1100's but will have all the mounting points in the wrong places. I saw this when I parked my GS next to my mates' kat. I guess it would be best to get a friends kat and see whether you can adapt everything. Is do-able, but will cost time and effort.

good luck, Marco.

Comment

Why not see if you could rebuild the Kat motor, then you have 2 bikes
        Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
        2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing

And a true Katana ta boot!

Couldn't you simply swap your motor into the Kat frame???

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane
            Originally posted by Flatline_Racing

And a true Katana ta boot!

Couldn't you simply swap your motor into the Kat frame???
            I'm thinking my best bet might be to drop the engine from my GS into the Kat. Since it came from one, it may feel more at home there I also have a 1200 Bandit and keeping 3 bikes on the road isn't affordable right now or else I would look at rebuilding the motor from the Katana.

Comment

I certainly understand what you mean about 3 bikes at once... under the circumstances you may feel inclined to pass on buying the Kat, in which case you should give me the number of the seller... seriously! Please!

(well, ya can't blame me for trying, can you?)

Comment

keep them all..

here is a RARE pic of my 81 GS1100EX
                I dont post pics of it because it is in such bad shape, but is being rebuilt completely, slowly and right.
                I have a mound of new parts for it from Suzuki, just wiating to start the process.

Anyhow, I have a Katana 1100 also, and ALOT of new parts going on it right now too, including SS/CF Yosh System, HArd Bags, new seat, Fairing bra, full tank bra, etc..

Just take your time, and build on them as the funds allow, that's how I do it, and it has worked for oevr 33 bikes and 24 yrs.

left to right:
                81 GS1100EX , 89 GSX1100F , 2000 GSX1300R , 93 KLR650 , not pictured 1986 GSXR750

Comment

Originally posted by Busafied
                  keep them all..

here is a RARE pic of my 81 GS1100EX
                  I dont post pics of it because it is in such bad shape, but is being rebuilt completely, slowly and right.
                  I have a mound of new parts for it from Suzuki, just wiating to start the process.

Anyhow, I have a Katana 1100 also, and ALOT of new parts going on it right now too, including SS/CF Yosh System, HArd Bags, new seat, Fairing bra, full tank bra, etc..

Just take your time, and build on them as the funds allow, that's how I do it, and it has worked for oevr 33 bikes and 24 yrs.

left to right:
                  81 GS1100EX , 89 GSX1100F , 2000 GSX1300R , 93 KLR650 , not pictured 1986 GSXR750

I dont see any Katana??
                  Dink

Comment

The easiest way would be to drop the motor in the Kat. Rebuild Kat motor and put back in when done to go back to original motor.

I think Dink was looking at the Busa a bit..but yes there is no Kat in the pic

Comment

Sorry guys, but there actually is a Kat in the photo. The 1989 GSX1100F. This would be the later version of the Katana, not the old school Kat that we are used to seeing here.
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

crag antler Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:15 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys, but there actually is a Kat in the photo. The 1989 GSX1100F.
                        Someone is a sharp as a tack...
                        Currently bikeless
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                          Sorry guys, but there actually is a Kat in the photo. The 1989 GSX1100F. This would be the later version of the Katana, not the old school Kat that we are used to seeing here.
                          Doug Mate, ALL Katana's are air-cooled, and run GS engines, a sticker does not make a Katana.
                          Dink
                          BTW that is a GSX1100FJ

Comment

Doug Mate, ALL Katana's are air-cooled, and run GS engines, a sticker does not make a Katana.
                            Dink
                            BTW that is a GSX1100FJ
                            Ohhhh, but someone's sharper!!!

(I love to instigate)
                            Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                              Dink
                              BTW that is a GSX1100FJ
                              Ohhhh, but someone's sharper!!!

(I love to instigate)
                              Instigate my a ss. 8O 8O
                              Sorry Dink, it was Suzuki decision not mine to name it a Katana 8O 8O :x :x
                              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                              2000 Kawasaki Concours
                              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                              X