No announcement yet.

VM Carb Push/Pull Throttle Cables Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Looks like I inadvertently started a lively discussion!

As for safety, if the slides ever freeze and stick open, AND if the engine then runs on or "diesels" after I hit the kill switch, I could just pull in the clutch lever to save my a$$.

But, at this point in the conversation, it's all academic: I'm simply going to install the push cable!

Thanks for the education, guys.

The info provided on this forum is amazing.

I love the GS Resources!

Thank you all.

Comment

I was not considering carb icing as temps here are pretty much in the 90-100 deg range all the time. A cold snap usually means 75-80. LOL

I have never seen a gas engine get hot enough to diesel, but logically thinking, I can see it as a possibility. How much of one, I have no idea.
      I suspect the odds are less than they are for being run over by a train while taking a shower. :-) Everyone has the right to choose the train or the shower though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by daveo
      The problem with killing the ignition, with the slides stuck open, is that the engine can continue to fire from the cylinder temperature alone, like a diesel. Without a way to get the slides closed to stop fuel mixture induction, and a screaming engine, it could get ugly. I'm not saying this will happen, but, under certain conditions it can and has happened. It may never be an issue for you Earl, due to your location or whatever, but I can't say it won't for everyone...
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        I have never seen a gas engine get hot enough to diesel, but logically thinking, I can see it as a possibility. How much of one, I have no idea.
        I suspect the odds are less than they are for being run over by a train while taking a shower. :-) Everyone has the right to choose the train or the shower though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by daveo
        The problem with killing the ignition, with the slides stuck open, is that the engine can continue to fire from the cylinder temperature alone, like a diesel. Without a way to get the slides closed to stop fuel mixture induction, and a screaming engine, it could get ugly. I'm not saying this will happen, but, under certain conditions it can and has happened. It may never be an issue for you Earl, due to your location or whatever, but I can't say it won't for everyone...
        I've seen it happen numerous times, mostly on two-strokes. Somehow the throttle sticks due to a crash or something, you go to hit the kill button and it doesn't do ANYTHING! Sort of freaky! 8O I've also seen cars do that, but not for long. You turn them off, and you get a "ca-chug-ca chug" type thing.

As far as the push cable, gas it. It's just extra weight. I've been running my 750 without one for 14 years. If I ever have any problems with a sticking throttle, it's because the throttle cable needs lubing, is routed wrong, or is starting to break. I'm running the stock spring (I think!) and the throttle snaps back with authority! 8)
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I have a 78 GS1000, have owned it since 1980. It still has the original throttle cables on it, as they do not seem to wear.

The return cable probably is not necessary, but it does no harm to leave it on if the return spring does all the work anyway. I figure it is an easy way to carry around a spare throttle cable if I need it one day!

Comment

Like saaz says, it's the spring that causes the throttle stiffness. Brion replaced it with a lighter spring, so that should help a lot with a sore wrist.
            It makes the decision about keeping both cables easy.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X