Huge disconnected ground wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge disconnected ground wire?

I'm wondering what this thing is. I found it today. It's a huge (like 4 guage or bigger) what looks like a ground wire the comes out of the top of the right rear of the engine case, and the connector end is just dangling around. What's this for? Is there any reason it's disconnected? The bike ran with it like this, but doesn't run now due to what I think is a bad ignitor (ignition module) which I don't know how to check.

how about some pics

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

It sounds like it could be the battery ground except the bike wouldn't start without the ground wire connected.. Did you follow the ground wire from the battery to see where it goes and that's it's connected.

Comment

I'll get a pic up when I can, but can't right now. I've described it a lot already, but will do more I guess:

It's a 4 guage or larger black wire that comes out of a hole in the top right rear of the engine/trans case and stretches across the top of the case to the left side. It's got a big eye connector on the end and it's just laying there, not connected to anything. It's not long enough to reach the battery by at least 10 inches. It doesn't look like there's an obvious bolt where it should be connected either.

The main ground wire coming out of the battery is a little thinner than this wire is.

Comment

Well, whatever it is, make sure its exposed end is not just flopping around where it might touch something and cause a short. Tape that end up until you know where it goes. A wiring diagram (you may be able to find one on-line) should show where it goes.

Comment

Black Wire

I have a 1981 GS 750 EX. Just went down to look at my bike, it only has two black wires one is ground on the battery which contects directly behind the sprocket on the engine and the other is for the starter solenoid. That was the only two I could see. If it is black it has to be a ground wire. If you didn't own the bike forever maybe someone before you had something else hooked up. Or put a new ground wire on the battery or solenoid. If your ground to battery and solenoid are on and working that is more likely the possibility. Hope that helps. Andy

Comment

Re: Huge disconnected ground wire?

That is the primary electrical system ground wire. One end should be bolted to the top of the transmission case (as it is) and the other end should be connected to battery negative. If its too short to reach the battery, then someone has replaced it with the wrong cable length. Connect it.

Earl

Originally posted by isaac
              I'm wondering what this thing is. I found it today. It's a huge (like 4 guage or bigger) what looks like a ground wire the comes out of the top of the right rear of the engine case, and the connector end is just dangling around. What's this for? Is there any reason it's disconnected? The bike ran with it like this, but doesn't run now due to what I think is a bad ignitor (ignition module) which I don't know how to check.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I would take the tank and seat off and check other grounds and connections. If someone buggered around with the engine ground there may be other surprises waiting for you. I found plenty of rusty ground connections on my 650.

Just a suggestion
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Someone might have done what I did and added a different ground to the battery entirely. I thought that Suzuki decided to put the ground in the crankcase for some reason unbeknownst to me and it was inaccessible, so I ran a new, meaty cable from the battery negative to the engine mounting nut/bolt near the right sidecover. Then I found out the old ground just connects to the top of the crankcase. Makes sense, but the new cable grounds well, so I left it.

Comment

Working...
                  X