Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire size / recommendations for '78 GS400 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire size / recommendations for '78 GS400 ?

Any tips on experience fitting tires?

Mostly solo riding / commuting duties.

Stick with the stock sizes

Comment

Look under the seat and cross reference the recommended size. I went back to stock on my 650 and it seems to handle better, I had too tall a rear tire on it before.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I've got IRC Durotour tires on my 77 GS400.

Front - 90/90-18 RS-310F
        Rear - 110/80-18 RS-310R

I believe those are as close as you can get to the stock sizes which the manual says are 3.00S18-4PR front and 3.50S18-4PR rear. I've been happy with them, but I don't have much to compare them to. They replaced the original 26 year old tires :roll: and I don't have too many miles on them. I wouldn't go with anything wider - they're a pretty close fit.

Comment

You had the original, 26 year old tires on that puppy? OMG! :-) How many miles on the bike now? Cant be too many.

Earl

Originally posted by ptm

Front - 90/90-18 RS-310F
          Rear - 110/80-18 RS-310R

I believe those are as close as you can get to the stock sizes which the manual says are 3.00S18-4PR front and 3.50S18-4PR rear. I've been happy with them, but I don't have much to compare them to. They replaced the original 26 year old tires :roll: and I don't have too many miles on them. I wouldn't go with anything wider - they're a pretty close fit.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yeah - I bought it new in '77 and didn't ride it much over the years. It had less than 5,000 miles on it in 2003 when I decided to either get serious about riding it or sell it. So, I finally replaced the original tires, rebuilt the caliper, replaced the 26 year old helmet 8O and started riding more. It's up to almost 7,000 miles now (I missed most of last season because of a sticky throttle problem I couldn't figure out) This summer I plan to put on some serious miles - mostly on the 750 I just got, assuming I can get it put back together properly by then...

Comment

Boy, racking up that amount of milage in only 26 years proves how durable our old GS's are. Averaging about 3.5 miles per week is a record that will not soon be broken and should qualify you for some special kind of "butt" award, though probably not an Iron Butt. :-) :-)

Glad to see youre back into riding again. Too much fun to miss out on. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by ptm
              Yeah - I bought it new in '77 and didn't ride it much over the years. It had less than 5,000 miles on it in 2003 when I decided to either get serious about riding it or sell it. So, I finally replaced the original tires, rebuilt the caliper, replaced the 26 year old helmet 8O and started riding more. It's up to almost 7,000 miles now (I missed most of last season because of a sticky throttle problem I couldn't figure out) This summer I plan to put on some serious miles - mostly on the 750 I just got, assuming I can get it put back together properly by then...
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by ptm

Front - 90/90-18 RS-310F
                Rear - 110/80-18 RS-310R

I agree with this post, I have the same tires. 55 bucks a piece and I am very pleased with them.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

good to know - thanks

Comment

Wider tyre for GS450L

I was thinking about putting a wider tyre in the rear of my GS450L... I bougth the bike with an almost bald rear tyre and need to replace it soon as I'm progressing very fast with my learning... I want the wide tyre just for looks... the stock tyre seems so little and skinny...

Some one knows what is the max size tire I can put on my GS450L rear end?? Is there any adverse handling effect??

Thank you very much!!

Comment

Working...
                    X