Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re- chromes the fork tube?

Hi Everybody,

If I have a pair of inner fork tubes which the body chrome at the frequency traveling area is extensive worn out and even it can see the fork tube steel color. Could I send it to some where to re-chrome and re-condition it? Addy

It would probably cost less to buy a nice used set.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yes, it was my second used set from ebay. The first set fork tubes from ebay are bent. bad luck!

new set of pair cost about HK$5000=US$400.

so I hope to re-chrome it at lower price and take it as spare parts!

Comment

CHeck with someone local that rechromes auto bumpers

Comment

Oh! Sorry for me not mention the defective fork tubes are USD tubes of GSXR.
          Could a normal chrome factory re-chrome it directly with the brake caliper mounting legs ?
          Or it need to disassembly the brake caliper mounting legs from the fork tube before re-chrome it?

Comment

It would have to be disassembled

Comment

I would be interested to see what some more of you have to say about this topic as well.

In my case the chrome is pitting from rust spots.

Are there companies who do this sort of thing?

Comment

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years so I know that Andy's problem is a tough one. Finding someone to strip and rechrome the forks may be hard to do and spare parts for GS bikes are virtually non-existant. Most manufacturing is over the border and cars are not restored very much.

however if Andy will tell us what year and model bike he has perhaps a GSer might have a set of forks he would part with.

I have very nice set of 1982 GS850G forks that are taking up space in my garage.

So Andy, what kind of Suzuki are we dealing with?
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

tubes

You need to have the tubes Hard Chromed decorative chrome like whats on auto bumpers will not hold up, if they are not pitted or nicked in the travel area they can be refinished, you will have to supply the chromer with a finish size or they may not fit right

Comment

I've never heard of re-chroming actually working on forks, but I do not have first-hand experience with it.

You need new fork tubes. Forking by Frank is pretty much your only bet:
                    Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines

I've always heard good things about their prices and quality.

You should also replace the bushings in the fork legs and generally rebuild and upgrade the fork internal bits as possible.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X