Shifter lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter lever

Is the shifter lever on a 83 GS1100 the same one as on the 85-86 1150? I looked at fiche, and the part looks the same on the 1150, but upside down as compaired to the 1100. All of my parts are wearing out in the shifter assembly. I can get new everything except the actual lever portion with its attached ball joint...these are dicontinued for the 83 1100, but available for the 85-86 1150.

Kind regards...Craig

Re: Shifter lever

Craig, I have an 83 1100E and an 85 1150E. The shift levers bvetween the two bikes are very close, but since one is "right side up" and one is "upside down" the ball mount ears would be reversed from the position required if the levers were changed. There is not clearance to swap levers. So no, the levers will not work if swapped. However, the ball joint couplings and the ball posts are replaceable. All you need are the ball joint assemblies. They thread into the footshift lever and into the shiftshaft lever. If you cannot find them through your dealer or places like bikebandit, etc. any marine supply store/marina could get them for you.
    Those size ball joint fittings and posts are used on rudder ytrim indicators, etc. Aircraft supplly houses like Wicks also carry AN fittings like that.

Earl

Originally posted by Craig
    Is the shifter lever on a 83 GS1100 the same one as on the 85-86 1150? I looked at fiche, and the part looks the same on the 1150, but upside down as compaired to the 1100. All of my parts are wearing out in the shifter assembly. I can get new everything except the actual lever portion with its attached ball joint...these are dicontinued for the 83 1100, but available for the 85-86 1150.

Kind regards...Craig
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Shift lever GS750LN

I have a 79 GS750LN. I am 6'4, 290 lbs. Everything about the bike fits me perfectly except the length of the shifter lever. I have size 15 feet and it is extremely difficult for me to shift with the standard lever. Is there another bike that I could get a lever from that would be about 2-3" longer? I have thought about getting custom part machined at a local shop, but I am a poor college student with very little money. Any body have any ideas?

Comment

have it cut & rewelded with an extra 2-3 inches

Comment

Re: Shifter lever

Earl:
          On the 83, the linkage is below the shifter lever and on the 85, it is above. Would the 85 set-up work on my 83? This would solve the backwards problem. I looked at the ball joints and they are not threaded in. It looks like they are peaned over(the ball post) and I don't think I can just replace them.

Craig

Originally posted by earlfor
          Craig, I have an 83 1100E and an 85 1150E. The shift levers bvetween the two bikes are very close, but since one is "right side up" and one is "upside down" the ball mount ears would be reversed from the position required if the levers were changed. There is not clearance to swap levers. So no, the levers will not work if swapped. However, the ball joint couplings and the ball posts are replaceable. All you need are the ball joint assemblies. They thread into the footshift lever and into the shiftshaft lever. If you cannot find them through your dealer or places like bikebandit, etc. any marine supply store/marina could get them for you.
          Those size ball joint fittings and posts are used on rudder ytrim indicators, etc. Aircraft supplly houses like Wicks also carry AN fittings like that.

Earl

Originally posted by Craig

Kind regards...Craig

Comment

Working...
          X