Fork oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil level

How accurate do you think I have to be with the fork oil? The qty. listed for each model is only a minor difference- like a few ml. Do I really have to go buy a friggin' graduated beaker? That's a pain in the neck.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I wouldn' t worry about it too much if all the model specs are pretty close, more important to make sure you have the exact same amount in each leg

Comment

Don't worry about the volume of oil. Put in roughly the right quantity then measure the oil level to the specs. Far more accurate. I have found that the oil volume quoted is often approximate. I use an old big syringe with some old tube attached with some tape on it to stick in and suck up any oil excess above the quoted oil level.

I have two set of forks for my GS1000, euro and US spec. Neither get to the right oil level with the quantity quoted in the manual!

Comment

I didn't realize that there are level height specs in my manual- I only noticed a quantity. I'll check that out tonight.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The oil level is what's important.

I just dump some oil in and then slurp out the excess with a large syringe attached to tubing with a hole at the correct level. There's a diagram of this homemade tool in the manual.

With Progressive fork springs, the amount of oil will be off anyway because the springs are made of thicker wire.

If the oil level is much different side-to-side, you could conceivably get some binding -- even with 0psi in the forks, the trapped air compresses and has an effect.

You also don't want too much oil, or the forks could bottom on the oil and blow out your fork seals.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

With Progressive fork springs, the amount of oil will be off anyway because the springs are made of thicker wire.
            Mmmm, I can't wait to see how the Progressives are gonna ride.

That's a great idea about the syringe and the hole cut in the tubing, that's how I'll do it.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

When you install the progressive springs It takes a day or to to get used to them THEY work great

Comment

Working...
              X