Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork tube dimeter at the triple for 1984 1150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork tube dimeter at the triple for 1984 1150?

Hey all,
    Still trying to decipher my clipon modification, I have located a set of stock 84 handlebars and I need to know if they are 37mm, the same as my 83 110e. I also can get the upper and lower triples if need be to bring it together. I have been informed that it should bolt up, but is any body with the specs out there before I spend more money?

thanks,
    Derrick

Ok, managed to sift though enough posts to answer my own questions, but if anyone has any thoughts on the project, I would not mind the company.

Derrick

Comment

Re: Fork tube dimeter at the triple for 1984 1150?

I have an 83 1100E and an 85 1150E. The fork tubes are the same diameter.
      I just measured them, so thats a fact. :-)

It will not be a straight bolt on for a couple reasons. The 85 "clip ons" clamp to the fork tubes with a 1" wide 5/16" think ring. On the 83, if you wish to install the clip ons beneath the top triple tree, there is not 5/16" clearance between the headlight mounting bracket and the fork tubes. Also, the distance from the underside of the fork tree to the top of the headlight bracket flange is 7/8" . You will need to do a little filing and a tad of rebending, but it can be done. Just going to be a little trial and fitting work to it.

Earl

Originally posted by DerrickC
      Hey all,
      Still trying to decipher my clipon modification, I have located a set of stock 84 handlebars and I need to know if they are 37mm, the same as my 83 110e. I also can get the upper and lower triples if need be to bring it together. I have been informed that it should bolt up, but is any body with the specs out there before I spend more money?

thanks,
      Derrick
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earl,
        I will be removing the headlight and brackets to accomidate the fairing, stays and light from the 84 1150 as well. Would it just be easier to use the 1150 top triple, will it involvelowering the front end to get a mounting surface for the handlebars above the 1150 triple. Or is the 1150 top triple leveled differently?
        ? Is the bar position between your bike different enough to warrent the change?

thanks again,
        Derrick

Comment

The handlebar grip position between the 85 clip on and the 83 standard bar is almost identical. The 83 grips are about 1" farther forward. Rise is the same at about 5 3/4" for both. Width of the 85 is 27". Width of the 83 is 28".

This is with the 85 clip ons in the stock location (on top of the triple tree)
          Moving them underneath the tripletree would lower them 1" minimum or a LOT if you wanted to slide them all the way down to the lower triple tree. :-)

If you plan on installing the 85 clip ons on top of the triple tree, yes you would have to lower the front end about 1". If under, no lowering needed.

I like the looks of the 85 style clip ons, but there will be little to no difference in riding position. They are about the same.

I plan to install Grand Prix bars on my 83 when I finish my rebuild on it.
          that will lower the bars about 1 1/2" and move them forward about an inch. ( I prefer to ride in a leaned forward position)

Earl

Originally posted by DerrickC
          Thanks Earl,
          I will be removing the headlight and brackets to accomidate the fairing, stays and light from the 84 1150 as well. Would it just be easier to use the 1150 top triple, will it involvelowering the front end to get a mounting surface for the handlebars above the 1150 triple. Or is the 1150 top triple leveled differently?
          ? Is the bar position between your bike different enough to warrent the change?

thanks again,
          Derrick

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you go with the 1150 triples you will need to go with a complete front end from an 1150. The distance between the fork is wider on an 1150, 16 inch front wheel, only three brake lines,diferent fender,ect,ect.

Comment

Thanks Robert.

I plead mementary brain dead. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Robert Corrie
              If you go with the 1150 triples you will need to go with a complete front end from an 1150. The distance between the fork is wider on an 1150, 16 inch front wheel, only three brake lines,diferent fender,ect,ect.

Comment

Working...
              X