HELP!!! Voltage Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! Voltage Regulator

This past winter I brought my bike out of the garage and jumped it with my car... it was running fine and my buddy went to take the cables off and touched the frame! The headlight instantly blew and the other lights got brighter. Ever since then, it hasnt been right... my battery gets hot and smells like a sock full of old eggs. The last day I rode this year, the bike nearly died from loss of spark. I parked it and its still there... what do you think may be the problem. My buddies say its the voltage regulator?? Any input on what it is and where I can get one?

popped headlight and rotten battery smell, yep your buddy is right.
    it is best to use a voltmeter to confirm output voltage.
    but you most likely have smoked your regulator rectifier.

Comment

do you know where i can find one of these? and how do i test the output? I have a buddy whos good with electrical stuff on bikes and cars... what do i ask him to do?

Comment

eBay, or a boneyard, you can use Honda's units too. I think they're all pretty much the same.

Comment

Dennis kirk has OEM replacements for 83.99. I just had to buy one of them.

Comment

for testing you can use the stator papers found here... quick easy step by step play of what to do.

You don't need to by one brand new. We got one off a Honda CB500 and it works just fine. Got it off ebay for 15$ cyclerecycle I think has some on hand too.

Comment

The Honda units work well, and usually, they are readily available.

Don't forget to check your battery. With it being overcharged to such an extent, especially if it did this for a while, you get excessive heat, which means it boils away the liquid, and damages the plates.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X