Loosing spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loosing spark

I have a 82 GS1100.I went out to start it and it fired right up,but when I turn the throttle I cut out.I pulled the wires and checked at idle it fired good,when I hit the trottle it lost all spark.It has a new stator and a new regulator.Help me please!!!

I have also changed the coils and it has new plugs.Someone told me it could be the ignitor box.I'm open to any advice

Comment

You say you changed the coils. Does that mean you installed new coils or did you install used ones off ebay or?? Do you check primary and secondary resistance on the coils before you installed them?

Earl

Originally posted by Oday
      I have also changed the coils and it has new plugs.Someone told me it could be the ignitor box.I'm open to any advice
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Used coils from a dealer they was checked when I got them.I rode the bike the day before this happend it ran good,I did a burnout on it then took it up and down the block a few times and parked it.

Comment

Igniter diagnostics

Greetings! ...been away a few years.

I am in the process of reviving a 1980 GS1100E. The spark situation sounds a little like what I encountered. Good start, good idle, but the engine misfires at RPM's above idle. I checked the resistance at the signal sender and at the coils: No problems. When it came to using a D cell battery to test the igniter, I got the expected plug firing only when the polarity was reversed from the initial set up.

Now, I have one aftermarket manual that says never to reverse the polarity, and the Suzuki tech manual that says to check both ways. According to Suzuki, my test results require replacing the component.

So, my reply is this, could we both have igniter problems?

Comment

the two bikes use totally different ignitors, on Oday's bike the igniter also performs the advance function, and it is this that is probably his problem.

yours sounds like a clogged or missing air cleaner problem.
            do you have the air cleaner in place with the filter in it?

Comment

V&H exhaust, 1166 big bore kit, Megacycle modified cams. The unit had a Uni-filter OEM replacement filter that worked great for years with the airbox top off.

I'm resurrecting the bike after it fragged a cam lobe a couple years ago. Been steadily replacing stuff, since then. I've been trying out a stage 3 jet kit with some old V&H pod filters. I haven't used those filters before. I also can't find any old instructions about oiling them. The missing started at some point during this process, with the Uni-filter still in place.

So, it could be just a leakey intake boot?

Comment

I'll start looking for a new ignitor.I started it today and its getting fire at rev now the two left pipes are cold.It was hummid in my shop the night of the misfire.I'm thinking I may have had moisture in a connection.The bike sit for a few years,I did a half way cleanup on the carbs when I got it.But I havent rode it much and I think the carbs still need a real good cleanup.Thanks for the help and I'm still open to any suggestions to things I should do to fix the bike.

Comment

If the two left pipes are cold ( 1 and 2), it is absolutely not an ignition, ignitor box, advance problem. It is a carb problem. Your jets are clogged in the 3 and 4 carbs. Clean the carbs. That means take them completely apart, remove all rubber and plastic parts, soak them in carb dip, blow the passageways out with compressed air, replace all the "O" rings, reset the float levels and once installed and the bike running, do a carb synch with vacuum guages.

Earl

Originally posted by Oday
                  I'll start looking for a new ignitor.I started it today and its getting fire at rev now the two left pipes are cold.It was hummid in my shop the night of the misfire.I'm thinking I may have had moisture in a connection.The bike sit for a few years,I did a half way cleanup on the carbs when I got it.But I havent rode it much and I think the carbs still need a real good cleanup.Thanks for the help and I'm still open to any suggestions to things I should do to fix the bike.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

For a bike with the BS carbs their is NO SHORT CUT to putting them back on the road. You need to go completely thru & clean the fuel system, Clean / repair petcock, Replace /check the intake boots the O rings if equiped Dissasemble the carbs & clean & replace all of the O rings

Comment

Working...
                    X