Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an 81 750 CDI fit a 82 750? (PROBLEM SOLVED!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will an 81 750 CDI fit a 82 750? (PROBLEM SOLVED!)

I'm asking because they seem to be very different looking parts. I've been discussing getting one from another member on the board, but it looks like they look different and have different part numbers, though they came from essentially the same model bike and have the same wires coming out.

What's up with that? What's the parts interchangeability between these things?

Dave, for some reason those schmatics don't have the actual ignitor/ignition module/CDI pictured. I'm guessing they don't sell it.

Of course if the coils and signal generator are the same between the two years, it makes sense that the ignition module should be too.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't look close enough. Got busy at work and rushed it. You are correct.

Comment

FIXED

Well I got the ignition module in the mail yesterday. It's an 81 gs 750 ignition module (aka CDI, aka ignitor) and I wanted to put it on my 82 GS 750.

Anyway, it looks different. The 81 module is much bigger (deck of cards size), the entire back is made of metal, the wires exit the side of it in a bundle, and it appears easy to open and service. The 82 module is smaller (tic tac box size), the back is plastic with a metal center, the wires exit the bottom in from 6 individual pins on the module, and it's sealed and unserviceable.

The numbers are different (32900-45110 and 131100-1901 on the 81 model. 32900-45411 and 131100-2281 on the 82 model) the plugs are different, but the 6 wires are still the same colors.

I connected it to my bike tonight, and it fired up for the first time in 2 weeks! Woohoo!! So this solves the problem discussed in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=30295

Just thought everybody should know; these parts WILL swap.

Many thanks to John Wright for being so helpful with making sure this would work. It was still kind of a guess at the end, but he did everything he could.

Comment

I was worried there for a minute as I read your first post, as it was 82 when Suzuki started using the fully electronic ignition, including electronic advance.
          but after looking into it, it apears that only the 1100G,GL,GK got the trick electronic advance in 82, the 750 and 1100E still had the old system with mechanical advance.

Comment

How to Verify Ignitor Interchangeability between Models

I also used a different ignitor than the OEM model because I found that there are better Suzuki Ignitors that will work for my 1980 GS1000GLT than the stock soldered circuit board Ignitor that is original equipment. The better ignitors (In my humble opinion) are the water-tight solid-state smaller TSI (not CDI) units in the 32900-454xx series available on EBAY for 25-40.00. The way I verified interchangeability of Ignitor units is to verify that the signal generators resistance is equivalent. My research showed that Suzuki used two signal generator types, either 290-360ohms or 140-180ohms. I infer that if my bikes current signal generator tests out at the same ohms and uses the same part number (look at http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm under year/model/signal generator section), the advance system is the same (either electical or mechanical), then it should be an equivalent ignitor. After a lot of researching how to find out exact interchangeability, I determined that the easiest way to verify ignitor interchangeability is to go to the alpha-sports website and verify that the bike the ignitor is coming from has the same advance (either electrical or mechanical) system, uses the same signal generator part number so that the signal generator will test out in the same OHM range. If the advance curve is different from one ignitor to another, then an ignitor with built-in electrical advance won't be the best ignitor because the advance curve will be for a different engine. But, if the advance is a mechanical type, the ignitors are not involved because the mechanical advances are part of the engine, inside of the engine behind the signal generator coils (the signal generators are called coils, they are located in the engine where the shaft turns on the right-hand side of the bike under the apx 4" cover). As for the wiring harness, if connectors are different, there are only 6 wires involved and it should be an easy change-out. I am not sure but I think all of the late 70's & early 80's generation GS's use the same wiring connectors for the ignitors. For me, my bike model, ignitor model interchange was as follows:

My Bike 1980 GS1000GLT
            My OEM Ignitor 32900-45110

Replacement Bike 1981 GS1000E
            Replacement Ignitor 32900-45410
            Same wiring connectors on both ignitors

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION RELATING TO VARIOUS GS IGNITORS:
            =================================================
            = 32900-45410_Model_List_GS1000GLT.txt =
            = =
            = GS1000E GS-1000E GS 1000E - Years 1980 =
            = GS1000S GS-1000S GS 1000S - Years 1980 =
            = GS1000GL GS-1000GL GS 1000GL - Years 1981 =