Engine Oil Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil Question

I know that these bikes require 10w-40 oil and thats what i use but what oil is the best ive always been using castrol gtx sae oil all these oils anymore say they do this and that but i like to use the normal gtx sae 10w-40 oil it has good protection and reduces heat...my question is .. the only reason you cant use any type of friction reducer or crankcase mixture is because the clutch runs in the same oil?? what would be the best for the engine im guessing 10w-40 is used because its a high rpm motor and the oil has to lubricate the transmission...but could these great oils like castrol for instince make a clutch slip....I dont think any type of oil or additive would effect the engine or tranny in any way i think its just because the propertys of the clutch would be ruined. ME myself i think CASTROL GTX is the best oil its simply good and doesnt have 20 different kinds for this and that its all great sae oil with any thickness.

I've always used castrol gtx in all my bikes without problems. I change the oil AND filter every 2000 miles religiously.

Comment

I use castrol GTX also NO problems with clutch. DO not use any kind of aditives.

Comment

Ahh, the Great Oil Question.

Who had the emoticon eating popcorn?

Seriously though, I've switched to Castrol GTX 10W-40 for the winter. This is my 2nd round with it. I posted a thread where I'm have some clutch slippage when the bike gets hot. I WAS using Rotella T, I think it was 15W-40. I'm thinking I'm going back. However, I live in a real hot climate.

Comment

I've used that Castrol GTX many times before with no problems.

I currently use Mobil 1 15-50wt in the 83 just because the previous owner did. I'll probably switch back to Castrol sometime this year just because I like the stuff and can't bring myself to suck up $30 worth of oil each change.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

ENGINE OIL QUESTION

I use Amsoil 20w50 for v-twin air cooled motors
            for the past 2000 miles now
            The bike has 11082 miles on it
            1985 gs550l and no problems

Comment

I use Castrol just because you get more for your money. Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Valvoline all sell for the same price, but with Castrol you get a full litre here in Canada. Everybody else rips you off with 946 ml. Makes a difference! 8)
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                Ahh, the Great Oil Question.

Who had the emoticon eating popcorn?

Comment

oil

Yup I put oil in my bike to, cause the book says you have too!!

Comment

Re: oil

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
                    Yup I put oil in my bike to, cause the book says you have too!!
                    I wish you wouldn't be so technical but would talk in words that we understand like "cat" and "dog" and "Bambendjelle"...

Hap

Comment

Oil oil...

The basics are don't use anything rated for energy conservation (the starburst in the US I believe). Otherwise use the grade of oil for your conditions. The owners manual and workshop manual have the operating temp ranges for various oils. 10W40 would cover pretty well all conditions year round.

Change the oil and filter as required. better oils can go longer before they degrade, if in doubt chnage it.

Other than that, an oil debate will start!

Comment

I'm still using Castrol GTX 10W-40 car oil in my dual-purpose bikes. I use Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic car oil in my GS and my ZR-7S.

Comment

Originally posted by dietcokeking
                          I use Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic car oil in my GS and my ZR-7S.
                          I've tried synthetic car oil in the past and found it doesn't agree with the bike's wet clutches because of it's anti-friction properties. If you must use a synthetic based oil in your bike, use one that's meant for bikes.

Comment

oil

i dont understand how the thickness of the oil matters isnt oil, oil anything that will lubricate...what would better 20 w 50 or 10 w 40 what brand i have heard that the best engine oil is castrol gtx...therefore i use it...and what does ll that sd sae ect stand for isnt a cleaning agent to keep the engine clean....why in the owners book it says use sd or se i forget which one but what is that...i could only find sae

Comment

I just went to get oil and filters for the bikes. Decided to get Mobil 10/40 from what I had read here. The guy talked me into Amsoil 10/40 Motorcycle oil because it has the protection and heat disipating qualities of synthetics but is formulated not to mess up the wet clutch. Had to remortgage the house to buy it though!

Comment

Working...
                              X