Engine Oil Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wingnut
    I just went to get oil and filters for the bikes. Decided to get Mobil 10/40 from what I had read here. The guy talked me into Amsoil 10/40 Motorcycle oil because it has the protection and heat disipating qualities of synthetics but is formulated not to mess up the wet clutch. Had to remortgage the house to buy it though!
    I know "the guy" talks many people into remortgaging their houses to buy the expensive oil, but carefully chosen car oils haven't messed up any of my four current clutches, nor any of 7 or 8 previous motorcycle clutches over more than 30 years! They're selling snake oil.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      Originally posted by DMPLATT
      Ahh, the Great Oil Question.

Who had the emoticon eating popcorn?
      Yeah, that's it.

Well I've been having clutch slippage even though I replaced the clutch disks. It seems to be heat related after sitting in heavy traffic. However it did it the other night when cool. So I changed the Castrol GTX that I've used the last 2 changes and went back to Shell Rotella 15W-40. Haven't noticed it slipping again. I know noone else has had trouble with the Castrol, but I did.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
        Ahh, the Great Oil Question.

Who had the emoticon eating popcorn?
        Yeah, that's it.

Well I've been having clutch slippage even though I replaced the clutch disks. It seems to be heat related after sitting in heavy traffic. However it did it the other night when cool. So I changed the Castrol GTX that I've used the last 2 changes and went back to Shell Rotella 15W-40. Haven't noticed it slipping again. I know noone else has had trouble with the Castrol, but I did.
        Have you tried heavy duty clutch springs or just installing a new ste of standards. That would be a more realistic solution for clutch slippage with an oil that has proven itself over many years.

Comment

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the bike and have no problems. I use 10W30 if it's cooler, but haven't had the need in the south, and 15W50 for the riding season.

Cost is about $18.88 for a 5-quart jug at Wal-Mart.

~Adam

Comment

Same here, I swear by Mobil 1.

Comment

Have you tried heavy duty clutch springs or just installing a new ste of standards. That would be a more realistic solution for clutch slippage with an oil that has proven itself over many years.
              HD Springs 8O 8O :? :? Not in this traffic. I DID replace the standard springs. I change the clutch back in like Septmeber/Oct. I never had a problem til last week when I'd been in heavy traffic and the bike was getting hot. Once I got free I goosed it a bit and really felt some slipping. THat's the first time I felt it. Next day same thing. The other night, it was hardly noticeable at all. I was just under 1,000 miles, so I changed the oil anyway. WIth the Rotella I mad a 270 mile trip on Sat with no slippage. Yesterday - 70 miles, and today on the way in - No slip. So, I figure maybe the heat or traffic, but Rotella works for me so I'm sticking with it. Could just be some sort of coincidence, but oh well. Rotella is a buck cheaper too.

Comment

HD Springs 8O 8O :? :? Not in this traffic. I DID replace the standard springs. I change the clutch back in like Septmeber/Oct. I never had a problem til last week when I'd been in heavy traffic and the bike was getting hot. Once I got free I goosed it a bit and really felt some slipping. THat's the first time I felt it. Next day same thing. The other night, it was hardly noticeable at all. I was just under 1,000 miles, so I changed the oil anyway. WIth the Rotella I mad a 270 mile trip on Sat with no slippage. Yesterday - 70 miles, and today on the way in - No slip. So, I figure maybe the heat or traffic, but Rotella works for me so I'm sticking with it. Could just be some sort of coincidence, but oh well. Rotella is a buck cheaper too.
                Did you also adjust the clutch when you changed to the rotella.
                I'm asking because i am wondering if the clutch was already not properly adjusted. i know it sounds backwards because a hot clutch will grab not slip. I am just grabbing at possibilities or whatever.

Comment

Did you also adjust the clutch when you changed to the rotella.
                  I'm asking because i am wondering if the clutch was already not properly adjusted. i know it sounds backwards because a hot clutch will grab not slip. I am just grabbing at possibilities or whatever.
                  I check the adjustment as soon as I got home after it slipped. Here's the thread.

Thanks for the help.

It seems fine now, so all I can think of is that maybe I can only get 1,000 miles on an oil change - or it doesn't like Castrol? Sound plausible?

Comment

mobil delvac 15w40 diesel oil. working fine in -82 katana. not joking!

Comment

did you soak the discs in oil for at least 1 hour (prefereably overnight) before installing them in the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                        did you soak the discs in oil for at least 1 hour (prefereably overnight) before installing them in the bike?
                        Yup.

Comment

You probably have been over this already, but are you sure the cable is adjusted correctly? When I replaced my slipping clutch I set the cable exactly at the right (or wrong) tension so there was no free play what-so-ever in the cable, but it wasn't pulling the clutch throw rod at all. It still made it enough to slip pretty bad. Is the lever a little loose, like 1/4" before feeling the tension of the cable?
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Cool, this turned into a multipurpose thread.

When I adjust the clutch cable per the factory manual, like 1/8 or 1/16" (can't remember which) Then set the push rod adjustment to the factory tension, I could'nt get the clutch to disengage. It must've been 1/8" I now have it set to more like a 1/16". There is slack. I also have RE-CHECKED the push rod adjustment and it's still good.

Again, it hasn't slipped on me after changing the oil. I goosed it on the way home today when I could, and no slip in 2nd or 3rd. So I'm assuming it was either excessive dirty oil (<1,000?) or the Castrol?

She's pulling good now.

Thanks all.

Comment

You cant go wrong with Rotella T I have been using it since the mid 80's It doesn't brake down at higher temps. I run it in my GS & Road Tractor ( that has over a million miles on it now ) with out any problems :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                                I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the bike and have no problems. I use 10W30 if it's cooler...

~Adam
                                10W-30 car oil? I would worry about 10W-30 car oil being labelled "energy conserving", and therefore too slippery. That's why I stick with oils of 10W-40 or higher, including 10W-40 GTX and 15W-50 Mobil 1. They're not "energy conserving".

Comment

Working...
                                X