Getting a stored GS running again ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a stored GS running again ?

I'm new here, but bought my first GS in High School in '78 . I inherited an '82 GS750 from my father a year ago. It's been stored for about a year and a half. I'm going to bring it home on a trailer this spring. It was left without any storage precautions done. It is in nearly showroom condition-it was garaged and received loving care. What kind of precautions should I take before getting it ready to ride again ?

Well...change the oil and filter, clean the carbs real well (maybe do a dunk if real bad and change all rubber o'rings, Robert Barr has a set of all new o'rings that work perfectly), check your tires, if in question get new ones,or at least check tire pressure, lube all cables, drain the old gas out of the tank and float bowls if it is old, might need a new battery (there relatively cheap), replace brake fluid and bleed lines, spark plugs are cheap, check chain tightness and adjust accordingly. That is a start, I am sure that someone else will post with more but that should get you going.

Good luck and happy riding!

Scud

Comment

That seems accurate to me, especially if it's in showroom condition. Do that, take it out for a rip hey, and evaluate the rest (suspetion, power etc.). I'd add checking the charging system, but take it out for a little with a cell phone, maybe you'll find that it charges fine.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for that

I know that this bike has some charging issues-so I guess I'll have to deal with a new voltage regulator etc. We had an older 2 stroke Gt 250 with the same issues, yet my 78 GS never had them.

Comment

Look in the 'in the garage' forum on the homepage and check the Stator Papers, it will walk you through a charging system check.

Scud

Comment

Re: Thanks for that

Originally posted by JeffK
            I know that this bike has some charging issues-so I guess I'll have to deal with a new voltage regulator etc. We had an older 2 stroke Gt 250 with the same issues, yet my 78 GS never had them.
            well back in 1978 when you had that 78 GS the wiring harness and its brass connectors was new.
            that was 27 years ago!!

Comment

Re: Thanks for that

Originally posted by JeffK
              I have a 1976 GT 250 and I quess I am pretty lucky not to have any electrical issues. 8O 8) :twisted:
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
              X