Ceramic coating exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic coating exhaust

So smart guys, How thick is that ceramic coating?

I'm thinking of doing my new pipe (4-1) but I'm a bit worried about the
    header mid-pipe junction where the head pipes fit into the collecter.

Is it thick like powder coating OR thin like paint?

Rico

Rico,

I have and old pipe that I am considering coating. I spoke to these guys and they said it was thin there should be no problem with fit.

My only concern is that I read here somewhere that someone else had it done and some of the ceramic paint chipped off on the collars where you bolt the header to the engine as the collars were being torqued down.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

My Mac pipe came coated. It seems to be a real durable finish. Not sure if it's the same process as what a shop could do with a used pipe, but if it is, I'd say go for it. It was on my 81 for two years outside with no cleaning and still looks presentable. The coating looks only slightly thicker than a regular 7 coat paint spray.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I coated the stock system on my 850 almost 5 years ago. Except for some melted boot rubber it looks the same now as the day it was done. It was about the same cost as a new exhaust system, maybe a little less. But it should outlast an uncoated exhaust several times. If you regard your bike as a "keeper" the numbers definitely add up. I highly recommend it.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

We apply the stuff at work,they say it is about 5-6mills thick at the most.On the coating we have you need to buff it to give it the shiney look so you should be fine.I did some headers for my buddy and he liked them.

Comment

Maybe I will send it out after all.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

exhaust coatings

Hello Guys

Just a short not to inform everyne, with ceramic and powder coating it comes in such various colors. And yes it even comes in CHROME and it looks great and it does last. Most experiece I have is with 2 stroke snowmobile exhaust and it still looks great after 5 yrs of hard use.

Good luck, Archie

Comment

I have used Jet-Hot on car headers and three sets of bike headers. It was thin enough, no problem there. Powdercoaters have high temp coatings that seem fine. I will use that next time. The pipes I have seen (on drag bikes and race cars) look better than the jethot (TM) and are cheaper. Especially if you have to ship the pipes.

JETHOT is only twenty miles from me, but they send them out of state to another location for coating, so I still have to pay for shipping, even if I drop them off at their headquarters! So far (four years) they have lasted OK, though. I have had them done in both black and silver, I liked the silver best.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X