clutch slipping??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch slipping??

hey, I have a GS400E and I've worked out all the accurate gear ratios on a calculating program a few times, different programs and they say that at 9500 I should be traveling at 175kph. some days my top speed is different, its like 130, 140, 120 always different. I've had numerous sport bikes ride beside me and they tell me my speedo is acurate. a fellow rider suggested that my clutch may be slipping, and that would explain the different top speeds.... anways, what do you suggest?

Try a MC specific oil & replace the clutch springs. Any type of wind resistance, road conditions etc can effect your speed. Even the clothes you wear

Comment

Re: clutch slipping??

Lynn is right, windspeed and direction can make a big difference as well as clothing, etc. If you have a bike capable of 100 mph top speed and you're riding into a 25 mph headwind, then 75 mph is what your top ground speed will be. Your airspeed is still 100 mph.

Earl

Originally posted by GS400E_steve
      hey, I have a GS400E and I've worked out all the accurate gear ratios on a calculating program a few times, different programs and they say that at 9500 I should be traveling at 175kph. some days my top speed is different, its like 130, 140, 120 always different. I've had numerous sport bikes ride beside me and they tell me my speedo is acurate. a fellow rider suggested that my clutch may be slipping, and that would explain the different top speeds.... anways, what do you suggest?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Please clarify something:

You already noted that your friends say your speedometer readings are accurate, so, are you saying that:

A-each day the top speed attainable varies, or

B-you run at the same number of RPM's each day, and see considerable variance in your speed while at that same RPM number each day?

If A- then the factors that cause this are likely not within your control, as mentioned already. As actual speed increases, it takes a lot more engine power to push the air aside. For many bikes, even Hayabusas, the achievable top end may be limited by that factor alone.

If B- then you likely have a slipping clutch, and Lynn has offered two solutions. After that, you replace the clutch components.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

the top speed is varying, but whenever I reach the "speed of the day" the engine is redlined. I'll check that oil and possibly some springs, would new clutch disks help??

Comment

Given your latest post, I would say you could not go far wrong with a new set of disks.

DO check the springs, as well.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X