NEW type of master link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW type of master link

I saw one of these (Master Link) on eBay and did some searching online. It is made by EK Chain. The idea is that there are threaded posts that you put nuts on to tighten the link together. You keep tightening the nuts until the post breaks off and leaves the posts with a rivet-type mushroom head. This looks like a good idea. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any 630 links of this type.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Looks like a good find Joe. I bet it's only a matter of time before the 630 links come around. I'm thinking very fondly about this link after I spent TOO long trying to get the clip on my old fashioned master link.

J
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
      I'm thinking very fondly about this [new] link after I spent TOO long trying to get the clip on my old fashioned master link.

J
      Did you know that they make special pliers for masterlinks? One tip is shorter than the other. I get by with a pair of linesman's pliers with sharp grooves running across the tip. When my pliers dull I'm gonna head for the bench-grinder to shave back a tip.

Comment

Originally posted by dietcokeking
        Did you know that they make special pliers for masterlinks? One tip is shorter than the other. I get by with a pair of linesman's pliers with sharp grooves running across the tip. When my pliers dull I'm gonna head for the bench-grinder to shave back a tip.
        Why no, I did not know that. But I did a quick Google search and found several examples. Here's one: Master Link Pliers

Actually, I don't have a problem getting the clip on. My difficulty is getting the plates squeezed together enough to expose the grooves for the clip, especially on O-ring chains. Hey Earl, since you're the Master Link Master how about some tips?

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

If the link is simply tight to assemble, try using a small socket and c-clamp to squeeze the removeable sideplate onto the spikes (alternating end to end). I don't recall which motorcycle forum offered this tip, but I'm sure they did a better job explaining it! I've found the advice invaluable. Anyway, arm yourself with a 3" c-clamp and a small socket. You'll figure it out.

Comment

In the past, I tried squeezing the front plate on so hard (with channel locks) that the pins started popping out on the other side on one occasion.
            I found that just a slight ream of the holes with a small rat-tailed file, made squeezing on the plate easier.
            Obviously, you don't want to ream them out too much. Just a couple of twists, and try again. After a couple of times you'll get the "feel" of it. I'm lucky to have a file that's just perfect for the holes. I always try to squeeze on the plate first the way it comes. If it's too hard, and it usually is, I know to get out the file. I then clean the link and put a coating of black silicone over the clip and plate. No more thrown clips/plates, though most thrown clips/plates are on chains that are near the end of their life or not lubed well.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X